Match Report

Glen Dimplex Premier Junior Championship

Round 3

Waterford V Mayo

Ref: Brian Kearney (Wicklow)


From the June Bank Holiday sunshine in the West our Junior team made the long journey to Waterford for their Glen Dimplex Premier Junior Championship Round 3 fixture. The conditions were far from ideal with the sunny southeast proving not so sunny and in fact wet with consistent rain throughout the first half.


Both teams chasing their first victory in this year’s Championship, Mayo having played both Clare and Tipperary. Waterford having a loss away to Cavan behind them.

The match began at 4pm with referee Brian Kearney’s whistle. Saoirse O’Brien getting the first score on the board before the first minute of the game was up. The hunger on both sides for a win was obvious from the outset and possession of the sliotar was fairly even.


Mayo had a few chances on goal in the first half with one Brona Joyce shot being cleared by the Waterford defence after a few nerve-wracking moments for them. The second chance unfortunately came off the bar from a shot by Fionnuala McLaughlin.


Waterford scored two goals through Niamh Dobbyn and the second goal Mayo were unlucky to concede.  Waterford number 15 Lily McGill sent a shot down field and Aoibheann Crawley batted it down and it was a case of right place right time for Niamh Dobbyn who just connected with the sliotar to send it into the back of the Mayo net.


Going into half time Mayo were down by 2 goals, however given their play and the constant attacks on the Waterford goal and uprights, but there was a feeling that if Mayo came out all guns blazing in the second half that things could be turned around.

Half-time score

Mayo 0.03 Waterford 2.03


The second half began with Aoibheann Crawley again having to make a fantastic save from the Waterford forwards. However, despite 2 early Waterford points, Mayo outscored Waterford in the second half 7 points to 2. Mayo put in a fierce performance all the way through the second half with points from play for Lisa Scahill, Meabh Delaney and Fionnuala McLaughlin and three frees from Meabh Delaney that were converted.


No doubt that if Mayo had more time at the end of the second half, they would have made a good run at creating more scores as they very much had the momentum at that stage of the game.


Referee Brian Kearney was consistent throughout the match, pulling both sides on overcarrying, handpassing and steps taken.


Waterford were held scoreless after the 4th minute of the second half and Mayo were on the push forward consistently throughout. It was clear to see all they had gained in experience from their first two Championship matches.


The players have a week off next weekend and then welcome Cavan to St Patricks GAA, Westport on Saturday 18th June for their final round match of this year’s Championship.


Mayo: Mayo: A Crawley, A Doherty, A Mulkeen, G Delaney, S Golden, A Lambert, Caoimhe Delaney, M Delaney (C), R Lyons, F McLaughlin, S O’Brien, C Delaney, B Joyce, L Scahill, N Kennedy

Subs: K Scahill on for N Kennedy, M Deely on for B Joyce

Scorers: S. O’Brien (1pt), L. Scahill (2pts), F. McLaughlin (1pt), M. Delaney (4 pts frees, 1 pt 45’, 1 pt from play)


Waterford: S. Kelly, G. Harris, L. Sheridan, A. McDonald, N. Murphy, E. Curran (C), C. Farrelly, H. Ryan, E. Mackintosh, O. Whelan, A. Gallagher, S. Farrell, N. Dobbyn, L. Hogan, L. McGill.

Subs: N Savage for S Farrell, D Beresford for O Whelan, E Walsh for L Hogan, J Scholtz for N Murphy

Scorers: L Hogan (3pts), N. Dobbyn (2 goals), O. Whelan (1pt), N. Murphy ( 1pt 45’)




Latest Sport