Mayo started day two of U13 Gaynor cup 2019 with a game against a strong tall and physical Wexford side as with all this weekend Mayo have been up against it in the physical stakes but equal with anyone in football ability.

The first few mins were dominated by Wexford with a shot from kickoff just going wide, the Mayo  crossbar being hit and a gial ruled out for offside all inside the first 3 mins. Mayo started to get there passing game going and were especially effective down the left wing with Saoirse Byrne and Katie Heaney linking up well.

It was after 11 mins when Kayla  Doherty fired Mayos first shot at goal just dragging wide. It was a more even game now with Mayo maybe shading possesion and Wexfotd looking dangerous with long balls over the top. On 15 mins and Erin Nash chip just went over the bar after goid work from Doherty, and on 17 minutes the impressive Heaney tested the Wexford stopper with a left footed effort. But on 21 mins Wexford took the lead when one of the long balls worked, a slight mistake in central defence allowed the Speedy Wexford striker in on goal and she slotted the ball home. It was fairly even for the rest of the half with Charlie Benson in goal making a save in injury time low to her right. Some good performances from Mayo in the first half with Maura Hughes dangerous on the right and full backs Beth Roache and Sarah Gough working hard up and down the flanks.

Half time 1 0 Wexford.

Mayo Made 5 Subs at halftime with Joanna Gallagher, Emma Walsh, Kaitlyn Dunleavy, Emma Duffy and Amber Hardy entering the fray.

It was a 2nd half mostly dominated by Mayo with Wexford seeming to play on the break and hit long balls over the Mayo central defenders Aoife Gannon and Suzanne Tuohy. Mayos fresh legs started to get a grip on the game and after 38 mins Mayo levelled the game when Katie Heaney surhed up the left wing and she found Joanne Gallaghers feet she held the ball up brilliantly and knocked a lay off pass to Kayla Doherty on the edged of the boxed and Kayla hit a superbly controlled right foot shot into the far right corner of the net.

This stung Wexford back into action and soon they were ahead again on 41 mins a goal similar to thier first and Mayo had an uphill battle again. On 47 mins Sarah King came on for Beth Roache. 

Mayo were pushing hard for the equaliser and totally dominated the last 10 minutes with chances for Doherty, Gallagher and Walsh just off target.

There was a lengthy stoppage when the Wexford GK clashed with Gallagher in making a brave save. Which led to a long oeriod of stoppage time and Mayo continued to push for a leveller with Amy Cummins coming back on and the pacy Wiki Kaminska replacing Gallagher up front.

Mayo pushed Suzanne Tuohy up front for the last few minutes and this paid off with the Snugboro girl latching onto a long ball from Aoife Gannon and Mayo had there deserved equaliser. Emily Vahey came on for the last few minutes and Mayo were unlucky not to get a winner as they were unable to fashion one more clear chance.

2 all.

A great squad effort.

This leaves Mayo 3rd in the group and will be playing Waterford at 430 in the plate semi final.


Latest Sport