The HSE and a GP have apologised to a mother over injuries her son suffered after a battery was stuck in his throat for nine days before an X-ray was carried out.

RTE News is reporting that Aaron Sikorski from Tuam in Co Galway was 14 months old when his mother sought medical attention after suspecting her son had swallowed a battery while playing on the floor. The button type battery is usually used for watches and other small devices.

However, it took nine days and numerous visits to a GP and a hospital before an X-ray was carried out. But by then, he had suffered a serious injury as the battery had burned through his oesophagus into his trachea.

The boy was taken for an emergency procedure to have the battery removed and  remained in hospital for three weeks having spent time in intensive care.

Aaron required additional surgeries and treatment and was left with extensive permanent surgical scarring and psychological trauma.

The court heard he continues to suffer from some eating and language difficulties and has a fear of medical appointments. He also has a 14cm scar which may need to be treated with plastic surgery when he is older.

Today the High Court approved a settlement of €220,000 for the now six-year-old boy in a case taken against the HSE and a GP for negligence and breach of duty. The HSE admitted a breach of duty, but the settlement was reached without admission of liability by the GP who denied the claims.

Both defendants apologised for the treatment the boy received.


Latest News