Some Three customers in the Erris area of North Mayo will remain without a phone service until next month at the earliest.
The service went down the weekend before last in stormy conditions.
A spokesperson for Three told Midwest News last Tuesday, that a mast had been damaged in the storm and the service would be restored by the next day (Wednesday last ) but that has not happened for a number of customers in the area, including elderly people awaiting phone-calls from their GPs re Covid Vaccination appointments.
In response to a follow-up question from Midwest News on the matter yesterday, the telecommunications provider says that:
“There were three sites down originally due to the storm, and we have recovered service for two of these three sites.
We have looked at all temporary options and explored rerouting service from the third site to a temporary structure, however due to the location of the proposed temporary mast, the Irish Aviation Authority has stipulated that the only acceptable location is the existing mast location, as where the temporary structure was due to be erected may cause interference.
The third site covers customers in Rossport, Inver, Porturlin, Glenamoy and parts of the North Belmullet Peninsula.
Our Networks team is working as quickly as they can to restore full service, but as the mast needs a complete rebuild due to the storm damage, it will take some time and is estimated to be live towards the end of the week commencing the 1st of March.
We would again like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to our customers.”