Tuam

  • One lucky person is half a million richer today after purchasing a winning Euromillions ticket from O'Toole's Supervalu in Tuam.

    The winning ticket was in the Euromillions Plus Draw.

    Mary Lardner who is the CEO of O'Toole's says there is a great excitement and speculation around the town as to who has won the prize.

  • 50 new jobs have been announced for Tuam.

    One of the town's biggest employers Valeo has announced a €44 million investment in its Research, Development and Innovation centre, and will employ a further 50 people.

    Valeo is the world's leading provider of driving assistance systems to car manufacturers.

    Valeo Vision, based in Tuam, specialise in the design and manufacture of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems, such as rear view cameras, surround view and camera monitoring systems, pedestrian detection and automated parking.

    Galway East TD and Minister of State Séan Canney says this further investment in Tuam is great news for the town.

     

  • Alan Flynn has been announced as the new senior football manager of Castlebar Mitchels.

    The Tuam based man has an impressive CV having worked at club and inter-county level in recent years.

    Flynn coached the Kildare senior squad last season and previously worked with the Clare panel.

  • The Archbishop of Tuam Dr Michael Neary has formally submitted his resignation to the Vatican.

    Archbishop Neary recently celebrated his 75th birthday, and on reaching that age, it is mandatory under Canon Law for bishops to offer their resignation to the Pope.

    Dr Neary has served as Archbishop for 26 years, and will continue in the role until his successor is appointed by Pope Francis.

    Born in Castlebar, he was ordained in 1971 and held a number of teaching and clerical roles both in Ireland and Italy, until his appointment as Auxiliary Bishop of Tuam in 1992.

    Dr Neary was named archbishop in January 1995 and has been telling Midwest News today that there has been very special moments for him during his time as Archbishop.

  • An estimated 12,000 people are still without power this morning after Storm Ali on Wednesday.

    Two people died during the storm.

    A full service on the Luas Green line in Dublin has resumed this morning.

    It is understood the majority of those without power are in the Tuam, Mullingar, Cavan and Longford areas.

    Up to 180,000 homes were without power at one stage on Wednesday. Repair efforts were hampered by Storm Bronagh, which followed Storm Ali yesterday, and brought heavy rain across the country yesterday evening and overnight.

    Met Éireann meteorologist Joan Blackburn says they are  monitoring a weather system that may develop into a third storm, Storm Callum, late on Saturday evening.

    She says this system has the potential to develop into something “nasty,” which would hit Ireland late on Saturday into Sunday morning and this weather system is being kept under review.

  • The Arts Council has selected Tuam for a 3-year pilot programme for investment in the arts.

    It's hoped the pilot programme, with funding of €150,000 per year, will encourage the local community to get involved in developing the arts in the town.

    A public meeting will be held in Tuam Library next Thursday evening 18th July at 5pm for anyone interested in finding out more about the initiative.

    The funding is part of the Creative Places Ireland programme, which is aimed at communities that have not benefitted from sustained public investment in the arts.

  • The Association of Catholic Priests will hold a public meeting in Tuam this Wednesday evening, ahead of the Pope's visit to Ireland next month.

    This is one of four regional meetings being held across the country ahead of the Papal visit, asking what do we need to say to Pope Francis about the Irish Church ?

    Wednesday's meeting takes place at the Árd Rí Hotel in Taum from 7 to 9.30 pm.

    Fr Brendan Hoban, who will speak at the meeting, says it's open to everybody to make a submission, and a summary of the meeting will be forwarded afterwards to Pope Francis via the Papal Nuncio to Ireland.

  • The author of a new book about the Tuam Mother and Baby Home says time is running out for truth and justice.

    'My Name is Bridget' documents the life of one woman who entered the home in her twenties, in 1946.

    Journalist Alison O'Reilly says Bridget Dolan died without answers - and delays to the final report of the Commission of Investigation are unacceptable.

  • Emergency services are attending the scene of a 3-car collision at Kilconly near Tuam.

    The road traffic collision has occurred at Castlegrove on the Tuam to Ballinrobe Road.

    Gardai have confirmed that the road is closed from Kilconly GAA pitch to the old Garda station in Kilconly.

    Gardai and emergency services are currently at the scene, and no further details are yet available.

     

  • The Bishops of the six dioceses of the Province of the Archdiocese of Tuam are calling on the government to increase the number of people allowed to attend funerals under the present Level 5 Covid 19 restrictions. They consider 25 as a safe but more reasonable number than the present 10.

    They made their appeal in a Pastoral Message, published today, to mark the first anniversary of the appearance of the Covid-19 pandemic in Ireland.

    They have also decided to defer the Sacrament of Confirmation for the 2021 class until the Autumn, and encourage their parishes to consider doing the same in relation to First Holy Communion.

    In the Pastoral message the Bishops state that the pandemic has touched parish communities, particularly given the tragic loss of so many lives, and they understand the experience of disappointment and frustration that many people feel, at the news of an indefinite extension of lockdown.

    It acknowledges the efforts and the sacrifices of those in our community who provide essential services. “As Church leaders, we have consistently supported the public health restrictions on the grounds that they serve the common good”.

    We recognise the need for prudence and caution at the present time, in the light of the terrible loss of life in January and February, and we accept absolutely that now is not the time for a major reopening of society. We have carefully considered the five stage government plan “Covid-19 Resilience and Recovery 2021: The Path Ahead”, published last week.

    There are two things in this plan which the Bishops find “very difficult to support”.

    One of those is the fact that at level 5, all funerals are still limited to 10 people. We believe that a modest increase to 25 would, without compromising safety, bring much consolation to grieving families.

    Our second concern is that public worship is still excluded even at level 3. This would suggest that we may not have the opportunity to celebrate Mass together for months to come. The fundamental importance of Holy Week and Easter for all Christians, makes the prohibition of public worship particularly painful. While, as Christians, we are obliged to obey these regulations, we believe that it is our responsibility as Church leaders to make the case for change. We will continue to make fair and reasonable representation and we encourage you to do likewise. 

    In so far as the Government plan currently offers no clarity about when we might expect to return to public Sacramental life, we find it difficult to have any confidence that the Sacraments of First Communion and Confirmation can be celebrated before the end of the present school year. As of now, we have decided to defer the Sacrament of Confirmation for the 2021 class until the Autumn, and we encourage our parishes to consider doing the same in relation to First Holy Communion.

    Speaking to Midwest News this afternoon Archbishop Neary said that he is very open to go ahead with the sacraments as soon as it is safe to do so under public health guidelines, and if people and priests want to go ahead with the sacrament of Confirmation  sooner than next Autumn, and public safety allows it, he will be gladly facilitate it.

     

  • Campaigners say the state could be in breach of international law for its involvement in the Tuam Mother and Baby Home.

    The Irish Council for Civil Liberties says the crime of 'Enforced Disappearance' involves a state refusing to disclose the whereabouts of people who've been abducted.

    It's thought hundreds of children were secretly buried on the Tuam site.

    Thousands of children were also thought to have been illegally adopted through homes nationwide.

  • Celebrations are starting for Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture this week.

    A number of events are planned, which will lead up to a spectacular fire-lit opening ceremony in Galway city next Saturday.

    Fiery celebrations will take place in the towns of An Spidéal, Tuam, Ballinasloe, Portumna and Athenry over the next five nights. 

    Creative Director of Galway 2020, Helen Marriage, says it's a national event.

  • Archbishop Michael Neary, the Archbishop of Tuam, has announced the following diocesan appointments and retirements:

    Fr Paddy Gilligan, PP of Cong is to retire

    Fr. Patrick Mullins, PP of Cummer is to retire

    Fr. Enda Howley, CC of Monivea is to retire

    Fr. Martin O’Connor, PP of Kilvine to be a member of the Cathedral Chapter

    Fr. Billy Reilly SP An Cnoc, to be a member of the Cathedral Chapter

    Fr. Ciarán Blake, returning from sabbatical leave to be PP of Cummer

    Fr. Declan Carroll, PP of Parke/Keelogues, returning from sabbatical leave to be PP of Cong

    Fr. Peter Suttle, to continue as Administrator of Parke/Keelogues

    Fr. Karl Burns, PP of Mountbellew to be, in addition, PP of Menlough.  The priests of Athenry will share responsibility for the pastoral and sacramental care in the parish of Menlough

    Fr. Hughie Loftus An Cheathrú Rua on sabbatical leave for one year

    Fr. Clement McManus, to be Administrator of An Cheathrú Rua for one year

    Fr. Angelo Joy, Administrator of Kilconly, has been recalled to his Order

    Fr. Anthaiah Pudota, Knock Shrine, to be Administrator of Kilconly

     

  • Changes to the legislation that govern dog-breeding establishments are in the pipeline in an effort to tackle over-breeding in often squalid and inhumane conditions.

    Minister of State for Rural and Community Development, Galway based TD Sean Canney, also wants to tighten controls on the sale of animals to ensure they are not separated from their mothers before a certain age.

    And he wants the public’s input into what breeds should be tightly controlled or even banned, as is the case in other countries.

    Minister Canney recently visited the Limerick Animal Welfare Centre, where he saw at first hand the work that goes in to caring for and treating animals that have been cruelly abandoned.

    From litters of kittens abandoned in plastic bags by the side of a road to dogs abandoned by owners on remote roads, it is often left to shelters such as Limerick Animal Welfare to bring these animals back to full health and try to rehome them.

    Last year, following a public consultation process, Minister Canney’s Department published new Guidelines for Dog Breeding Establishments and these came into effect on January 1 of this year.

    Separate to the work on dog breeding establishments, Minister Canney also wants the public’s input into whether any breeds should be tightly controlled or even banned, as in the case in other countries.

    This review of measures relating to the control of dogs in Ireland will go to public consultation in the coming weeks and inputs from all sectors will be welcome

  • The Christmas tree lights at the site of the former Mother and Baby Home in Tuam will be officially switched on this afternoon at 3.30pm.

    Everyone is welcome to come along, and acknowledge the women and babies who lived and died at the home, according to former resident Peter Mulryan.

    Mr Mulryan says it's important to reflect on the mothers and babies who did not survive, and to stand in solidarity with all survivors of such institutions, who continue to be affected by their experices.

  • It’s disappointing to discover that the HSE run nursing home Aras Mhuire in Tuam has had its registration lapsed. That’s according to local Fianna Fail Councillor Donnagh Killilea. The Councillor says however, that HSE management has assured him that the re-registration process is now underway.

    At a recent HSE West Forum meeting, Cllr Killilea, a member of the forum sought information on the new residential facility on the site beside the Primary Care Centre in the town, asking if a design team has been put in place for the development.

  • Connacht Junior Cup Semi-Finals
    Castlebar 15-25 Creggs
    Tuam 6-18 Connemara 

     

  • Councillor Donagh Killilea will join sitting TD Anne Rabbitte on the Fianna Fáil ticket in Galway East.

    The party will now run two candidates in the three seat constituency where sitting TDs Ciaran Cannon and Seán Canney are fighting to retain their seats.

    The party has now decided to add the Tuam based councillor being to the General election race.

    He is the third generation of a political dynasty with both his father and grandfather serving as TDs.

    His late father Mark Killilea had a decorated political career serving as a county councillor, Senator and MEP as well as a TD.

  • Galway East deputy, Sean Canney says he’s more disappointed than angry at the Independent Alliance group for not honouring a hand shake agreement on the rotation of the portfolio, of Minister for the OPW.

    The Tuam based deputy and Kevin Boxer Moran flipped a coin when this coalition government was formed, to decide who would take on the position first and it was understood that it would rotate on a twelve month basis.

    But the present position holder Minister Kevin Boxer Moran refused to hand it back as the third year of the coalition got underway last month.

    Members of the Alliance backed Minister Moran staying on.

    Sean Canney spent two week considering his position and this morning announced he is leaving the group.

    He has also confirmed he'll continue to support the government in confidence and budgetary matters.

    Speaking to Midwest News today deputy Canney explained why it took him two weeks to decide on this move.

     He said he did not want to react hastiliy, and preferred to confer with his supporters.

    They met last night and agreed he would exit the group.

    He says he was elected as an Independent and he believes he can now serve his constituents best as an Independent.

    He says it is up to the Taoiseach now, if he is to retain his position as Assistant Government Whip.

     

     

  • A design team has been appointed for the proposed  new 50 bed HSE residential care home in Tuam. That’s according to local Fianna Fail councillor Daragh Killalea. The councillor is a member of the HSE West Forum and earlier this week he raised progress on the facility with HSE management.

    Afterwards councillor Killalea told Midwest News that the HSE acknowledged the generous gift of the late Joe O’Toole, a business man in Tuam, and his family in progressing this 7 million euro development.