Sligo

  • A man is due before the courts in Sligo in connection to the seizure of 100,000 thousand euro worth of cannabis.

    The discovery was made at a house in Ballymote on Thursday - where a sum of cash was also recovered.

    A man in his 30s had been arrested following the search and questioned by Gardaí.

    He will appear before Sligo District Court later this morning.

  • A man who had been reported missing from Co Sligo has been found safe and well.

    Paul Geraghty, also known as Pol MacOireachtaigh, who is from Tubbercurry was reported missing on Tuesday June 26th.

    Gardai confirmed this afternoon that he has been found safe and well and thanked the public for their help in the matter.

     

     

  • The general manager of a Sligo hotel has secured a temporary High Court injunction, preventing what he claims is a flawed disciplinary hearing against him from proceeding.

    The injunction was secured by Fergal Ryan, general manager of the Clayton Hotel in Sligo, against his employer Dalata Hotel Group Plc

    Issues had arisen over the testimony of two employees at the Sligo hotel who were called as witnesses for the company.

    Senior counsel Patrick O'Reilly, acting for Fergal Ryan, told the High Court that the disciplinary hearing was flawed to the degree that it was now "doomed".

    Mr Ryan, who has worked in the hotel industry for 28 years, said disciplinary proceedings were started against him earlier this year after he declined offers of money from his employer to leave this job.

    Mr Ryan's solicitor had asked that the disciplinary process be halted, but that was refused, resulting in the injunction application.

    Ms Justice Theresa Pilkington, granting the injunction, said she was satisfied a serious issue that requires adjudication by the court has been raised, and returned the matter to next week.

  • Many parts of the region are without electricity today following high winds and lightning strikes overnight.

    Around 700 homes and businesses are without electricity in the Crossmolina area, with another 200 out in the Bangor Erris region.

    Around 400 are without power in the Killala area, while around 600 are without electricity in the Ballina/Ardnaree/Bonniconlon areas and almost 200 homes are out in Knockmore.

    In Swinford about 1000 electricity customers are out, with over 100 in Achill and around 350 in Enniscrone.

    ESB Powercheck says estimated restoration times at present are at around 8pm this evening. 

     

  • Former MEP Marian Harkin has confirmed she will not be running for Fine Gael in the next General Election.

    The Sligo woman had been at the centre of speculation in recent weeks, as the party seeks a running mate to partner Boyle based Senator Frank Feighan in the next race for the Dail.

    It had been suggested this week that the ex-MEP, who stepped down from her role in Europe in May’s elections, might be tempted to run for the party, but last night confirmed via twitter that she would not be joining Fine Gael.

  • One man from  Mayo and two from Sligo will be honoured tomorrow at the National Bravery Awards, taking place in Dublin.

    In total, 12 acts of bravery will be recognised, with awards to 19 recipients  and one posthumous honour.

    Gary Kennedy from Co Mayo will receive a bravery award for rescuing his friend from the sea off Westport in the Summer of 1976.

    Also being honoured are Garda Pauric Deery from Sligo, for rescuing a girl from the Garavogue last September, while Basil Harte will receive a bravery award for also rescuing a young woman from the Garavogue in Sligo in February 2017.

    The honours are awarded by the Deeds of Bravery Council, which is chaired by the Ceann Comhairle, and was set up in 1947 to provide for suitable recognition by the State of deeds of bravery.

    The Council awards Certificates of Bravery, and may award gold, silver or bronze medals.

    The awards will take place tomorrow afternoon at Farmleigh House in Dublin's Phoenix Park.

     

  • There were no big surprises among the list of Ireland's richest people released today.

    The Sunday Independent Rich List found the Dublin based Mistry family, worth 16.1 billion euro, are the wealthiest in the country once again.

    The list estimates wealth based on stock market filings, documents in the Companies Registration Office, annual reports and information disclosed in interviews.

    Samantha McCaughren, Sunday Independent Business Editor, says the Mayo based Kenny family are worth 497m and are 32nd on the list overall and are the wealthiest entry from Mayo. 

    The Comer brothers are the wealthiest entry on the rich list from Galway. The Glenamaddy natives are 13th on the list overall.

     

    Seamus Mulligan from Athlone is the highest entry from Roscommon.

    Mr Mulligan sold his business this year, which pushed him up in the list. 

    The highest entry from Sligo is Eileen Monaghan and is shareholder in the Doyle Hotel Group.

     

  • The location of the Headquarters of the new garda division that will stretch across counties Mayo, Roscommon and Longford  is not yet known, but is likely to be announced within a week or so.

    It could be located in Castlebar, Roscommon or Longford.

    However, the new larger garda region of the Northwest, operational since Monday, is headquartered in Sligo.

    These changes in the operation and management of the gardai nationally were announced earlier this week by Commissioner Drew Harris and will be implemented in full over a three year period.

    The new larger geographical areas in the plan have caused garda union representatives to express opposition and concern to the changes.

    Garda districts have become redundant in the new system and the former Mayo Garda District is now part of the larger Mayo, Roscommon, Longford division.

    However, the Mayo district was part of the pilot group introducing the new measures, and has been working under the new system locally since February of this year.

  • Members of the People Before Profit Party in Sligo protested outside the gates of IT Sligo on Friday ahead of the special Cabinet meeting to rubberstamp the Ireland 2040 plan.

    The group were there to protest for a number of reasons. Local Cllr Gino O’Boyle was there to highlight the lack of social and affordable housing in Sligo. There are 1,100 people on the waiting list, with only 65-85 houses available.

    While Nigel Gallagher from the party was there as part of the Still Waiting campaign, which is calling for a one-tier health system.

  • Met Eireann has issued a status Yellow Wind warning for counties Mayo, Donegal, Galway, Sligo, Clare and Kerry

    Southerly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h, gust 90 to 100 km/h later this evening and tonight in Atlantic coastal counties, strongest on the coast.

    The warning will remain in place until 3pm tomorrow Saturday.

     

  • The government is being urged to act on new powers it will have to determine VAT rates on defibrillators.

    MEPs, who are meeting in Strasbourg, have backed an overhaul of the VAT system across Europe.

    Member states will have more flexibility, in certain cases, to decide the rate applied to some products - including defibrillators, which currently attract a 23 per cent rate.

    In the past the Irish government has said its hands are tied when it to comes to decision making on VAT.

    Independent MEP for Midlands North-West, Marian Harkin, wants the Government to now remove VAT from defibrillators:

  • The Minister for Agriculture has announced details of Online Clinics which will be held across the region in April, to assist farmers to submit their Basic Payment Scheme and Transfer of Entitlements applications online.

    Farmers can meet on a one-to-one basis with Department staff who will assist them in making their BPS application.

    Under EU regulations, all applications must now be submitted online, and the application process is open since February.

    BPS online clinics are being held across the region where farmers can meet one-to-one with a member of staff from the Department, and make their Basic Payment Scheme application there and then.

    A clinic will be held at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Sligo next Friday 5th April, at the Twin Trees Hotel, Ballina on Wed 10th April, at the Oranmore Lodge Hotel in Oranmore, Galway on Friday 12th April and the Shearwater Hotel in Ballinasloe the following Tuesday 16th April, and at the McWilliam Park Hotel in Claremorris on Tuesday 30th April - the clinics will run from 9am to 3pm.

    Further online clinics are planned for Galway, Roscommon and Mayo during the month of May.

    Minister Michael Creed is urging farmers to avail of the opportunity to apply for the BPS with the assistance of Department staff.

    Farmers with queries in relation to completing the BPS apaplication online can also ring the Department at 076 - 1064420.

     

  • The Minister with responsibility for the OPW Kevin Boxer Moran has been invited to visit Ballymote Castle in Co Sligo, to explain why public access to the castle has been restricted over the past year.

    Ballymote Castle was built around 1300 and is one of the last Norman castles built in Connacht.

    Sligo Fianna Fail Councillor Keith Henry says a number of areas of the castle are closed off, due to safety concerns, and permission to enter is required in advance by emailing the OPW, which he claims is a backward step.

    Councillor Henry, who's a History teacher, says the castle is a great public amenity for locals and visitors, and should be fully re-opened to the public.

    He's awaiting a response to his invitation to Minister Moran to visit the castle

  • Transport Minister Shane Ross is due to visit Co Sligo next month to officially launch three infrastructural developments in the county.

    Contrary to earlier reports that Minister Ross would visit Sligo this Sunday, the Department of Transport has confirmed that the date will be Monday 25th February.

    After decades of campaigning for a new road, the Minister will turn the sod to mark the official start of construction work on the new €100 million N4 Collooney to Castlebaldwin road.

    This stretch of road has claimed over 20 lives in road collisions in recent years, and led to a number of white crosses being erected along the roadside to remember those fatally injured.

    Minister Ross will also inspect two other major infrastructural projects on the day - the new Western Distributor Road and the Eastern Link Bridge in Sligo Town.

    The three projects involved a total investment of some €220 million.

     

     

  • Ministers have been keen to point out that the National Planning Framework is not Dublin-focused.

    But with 40 percent of the population living in the Greater Dublin Area, and congestion a growing problem, those who work and live in the capital want a slice of the pie.

    The cabinet is meeting at the moment to approve the Ireland 2040 development plan.

    Ministers have gathered in Sligo to finalise the 116 billion euro strategy.

    It will see a strong focus on health, housing and transport.

    The plan aims to cater for the extra million people who will be living in Ireland by 2040.

    Minister for Transport Shane Ross told Midwest News in Sligo today that they are going to invest heavily in the west and northwest.

    Meanwhile Sligo Fianna Fail TD Marc MacSharry says he is disappointed that Government has decided to announce how they are using €115bn of the taxpayers’ money at a glorified photo call in Sligo – when in his opinion it should have been announced in the Dail.

    He said he is hopeful with what has been leaked in the past few days that the regional areas are looked after.

  • After winning bronze in the 50 metres breast stroke yesterday, Sligo's Mona McSharry competes in the heat’s of the women's 100 metres individual medley at the European Short Course Swimming Championships in Glasgow today.

  • Almost 3,000 homeless people around the country use a local post office as their home address to receive mail because of the scale of Ireland's housing crisis.

    New data reveals the spread of hidden homelessness across the country, with many people unaccounted for in official figures because they stay with friends and family.

    The Sunday Independent reports that the statistics show higher volumes of people in rural areas using post offices as an alternative because they have no home address.

    The figures show high demand for the service in Galway where there are 194 users.

    In counties across the west there are more homeless people registered for the An Post service than there are staying in emergency accommodation, according to the Department of Housing's most recent figures.

    Mayo with 31, Roscommon with 15, Leitrim with 5 and Sligo with 38, have more homeless people using post offices to access mail than those recorded as being in emergency accommodation.

    The figures have been made available by An Post for the first time since the service was created for homeless people last April

  • Gardaí in Sligo are appealing for witness after a 53-year-old man was killed in a road crash.

    He was struck by a car while walking on the N15 main Sligo - Donegal Road at Lisnalurg outside Sligo Town just after 11 o'clock last night.

    He was pronounced dead a short time later at Sligo University Hospital.

    The N15 road is due to reopen to traffic this lunchtime following a forensic collision examination.

     

  • The N59 Sligo to Ballina Road is closed to traffic at Culleens due to smoke from a forest fire crossing the roadway.

    Traffic from Sligo side is being diverted via R297 at Dromore West.

    Traffic travelling from Ballina will be diverted via R298 at Lacknaslieva.

  • Irishmen and women who died in past wars or on UN service are being remembered today at ceremonies across the country.

    The National Day of Commemoration is being marked at six locations across Ireland, including Galway and Sligo.

    In Galway the commemoration ceremony starts at 11am at the Quadrangle at NUIG and in Sligo the event gets underway at 1.30pm at Sligo City Hall.

    In Dublin President Michael D Higgins and Taoiseach Leo Varadkar are among those attending at the National Museum of Ireland in Collins Barracks.

    Family members and a wide cross-section of the community, as well as relatives of the 1916 Leaders, have also been invited.