Mayo University Hospital

  • It's understood about 20 women from across the country sought terminations yesterday, since abortion services became legal on 1st January.

    The MyOptions helpline, set up by the HSE as a referral path for women seeking an abortion, came into service yesterday and was said to be "busy but not overwhelmed" on its first day.

    Because of the 3-day cooling off period, it will be next week before the first terminations are carried out.

    Just 187 of the State's 3,500 GPs have signed up to provide abortion services up to 9 weeks of pregnancy.

    The list of GPs has not been published, as many fear being targeted by anti-abortion activists, but women who ring the freephone number will be given details of their nearest provider.

    There are currently nine hospitals in the State willing to provide terminations - including Mayo and Galway University Hospitals - at 9 to 12 weeks of pregnancy.

     

  • For the second day in a row, there are 760 patients on hospital trolleys across the country today - matching yesterday's record figure.

    According to the INMO, Limerick is the worst-hit hospital with 75 patients on trolleys, followed by Galway University Hospital where 51 patients are waiting for a bed today.

    Elsewhere across the region, there are 14 patients on trolleys at Mayo University Hospital, 20 in Sligo and 21 at Portiuncla Hospital in Ballinasloe.

    The Irish Nurses & Midwives Organisation says this extreme overcrowding presents a clear danger to both patients and staff, and requires immediate political intervention to stabilise our hospitals.

    The union has written to the Health Minister Simon Harris, calling for a major incident to be declared at the worst-affected hospitals.

    The INMO is also calling for the immediate approval of all nursing posts across the acute hospitals, an end to the recruitment ban, the cancellation of elective procedures in the worst-affected hospitals and the sourcing of additional beds in the private and voluntary sector.

    In relation to Mayo University Hospital, local TD Lisa Chambers has described as "cruel and inhumane" the conditions patients and staff are dealing with in the Emergency Department.

  • A Mayo surgeon was honoured at the 20th NUI Galway Annual Alumni Awards over the weekend.

    Dr Ronan Waldron, consultant surgeon at Mayo University Hospital received the alumni award for Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences at the awards ceremony, which was held in NUI Galway on Saturday last.

     

  • The HSE and Department of Health are dragging their heels in relation to the proposed extension of the Emergency Department at Mayo University Hospital – that’s according to Mayo Fianna Fail TD Dara Calleary, who questioned the Health Minister on the issue yesterday.

    Last year, Minister Simon Harris announced that temporary modular units would be installed to relieve overcrowding at a number of hospitals, including Mayo University Hospital, but over a year later, the extra accommodation has not yet been put in place.

    In the meantime, Deputy Calleary says staff and patients are putting up with intolerable conditions at the Emergency Department in Castlebar, and he called for an urgent response from the Minister and from the HSE.

    Minister Harris said yesterday that the HSE Estates team had visited the hospital in Castlebar last week, and there will be further progress from there.

    Deputy Calleary says he will continue to pursue this matter with the Minister until work gets underway on installing the modular units, ahead of next Winter.

  • Mayo TD Lisa Chambers has expressed concern over low staffing levels in the Mayo University Hospital’s Maternity Ward.

     

    There are currently 10 fulltime staff vacancies at the maternity Ward and a 2014 government review found that the hospital was 5 staff below recommended levels.

     

    The Fianna Fáil TD has called on the Minster for Health and the HSE to address the staffing levels and wants five additional staff added to the ten that have already been approved.

  • Mayo University Hospital in Castlebar, University Hospital Sligo and Galway University Hospital are  among the 13 hospitals nationally  where women were not informed of a delay in their cervical cancer diagnosis

    The HSE confirmed yesterday that 162 women – including 17 who have died ,are caught up in the latest cancer screening controversy.

    A review conducted by the HSE confirmed 208 women should have received earlier intervention than they did but only 46 individuals were made aware of this.

    The examination, conducted by national director of quality assurance at the HSE Patrick Lynch, confirmed 17 of these women have died. The cause of their deaths is not known.

    Mr Lynch said he could not state if these women were informed of the delayed diagnosis before they died but insisted their next of kin would be contacted by today at the very latest.

    All of the other women affected would also be informed by today and given an appointment with a clinician free of charge.

    HSE director-general Tony O’Brien apologised to all of the women involved and to their families for the “completely unacceptable” practices.

    This morning the government is expected to ask the health watchdog HIQA today to investigate the scandal and the way it was handled by the HSE.

    Health Minister Simon Harris will also bring forward proposals to Cabinet today to make it mandatory for doctors to have to tell patients about things that may affect them.

  • Mayo University Hospital has apologised in the High Court for the standard of care provided to a woman who allegedly suffered a delay in the diagnosis of her lung cancer.

    Mother of five and grandmother Marie McDonnell from Castlebar died in January of this year.

    The Irish Independent reports that, in a letter read to the court, the hospital unreservedly apologised to her husband for the standard of care delivered  to her when she had an x-ray at the hospital in July 2017.

    General manager of the hospital Catherine Donohue said “This was not the standard of care that our hospital believed was appropriate,’.

    Before she died, Mrs McDonnell, along with her husband Anthony, of Riverdale Court, Knockthomas, Castlebar had sued the HSE over the care she received at Mayo University Hospital in 2017.

    Yesterday, Mr McDonnell settled the action against the HSE on confidential terms.

    The court heard that Mrs McDonnell had a chest x-ray on July 17,2017 with a repeat x-ray in six to eight weeks recommended.

    It was claimed there was an a failure to identify appearances on the x-ray which, it is claimed, were highly suspicious of bronchial carcinoma.

    It was further claimed there was a failure to identify a mass lesion present and a failure to refer Mrs McDonnell for a CT scan.

    Mrs McDonnell, it was further alleged, was not brought back for a repeat x-ray as recommended.

    When she had a chest x-ray 15 months later,in October 2018, a lesion was detected which had the appearance of an evolving bronchogenic carcinoma.

    It was claimed that Mrs McDonnell suffered a lost opportunity to be considered for feasibility of surgery.

    She also allegedly lost the opportunity to  have the suspicious lung mass evaluated in July 2017 and allegedly suffered a delay in diagnosis.

    The claims were denied.

    Mr Justice Kevin Cross approved the settlement.

     

  • Management at Mayo University Hospital have apologised to patients and their families who are experiencing long waiting times in the Emergency Department, which is described as "extremely busy" today.

    The hospital has admitted a lot of seriously ill patients over the last 3 days, and some patients from yesterday remain in the Emergency Dept, awaiting an inpatient bed.

    Hospital management says everyone who presents at the ED will be treated, but strictly in order of medical priority, and are reminding the public only to attend the ED in the case of real emergencies.

    For minor injuries, the Injury Unit at Roscommon Hospital is open from 8am to 8pm every day with a turnaround time of seeing and treating patients of less than one hour.

    Management at Mayo University Hospital have also thanked their staff who are working extremely hard at this time, dealing with the high volumes of patients.

     

     

  • The modular unit, which was promised two years ago to relieve overcrowding at Mayo University Hospital's Emergency Department, will still not be in place this Winter.

    The Health Minister announced the measure in 2016 to help tackle overcrowding, but it has now emerged that planning permission has not yet been sought for a modular unit at the Castlebar hospital.

    Fianna Fail Councillor Michael Loftus says it's a disgrace that, as we head into another Winter, the facility is not yet available.

    Councillor Loftus attempted to raise the matter at this week's meeting of the HSE Regional Forum, but told Midwest News he was unsuccessful in doing so.

    He says it's unfair on the people of Mayo that the promised modular unit has not yet been put in place.

  • More than 1300 children are on hospital waiting lists to see a specialist at Mayo University hospital at present.

    Mayo Sinn Fein Senator Rose Conway-Walsh says the Department of Health figures released to Sinn Féin this week, showing that there are 1323 children on hospital waiting lists to see a specialist at the Mayo hospital.

    The figures released to the party have shown that there are actually 86,625 children waiting to see a specialist in hospitals across the state - almost double the supposed official figure of 46,000 children waiting to see a consultant.

    Senator Conway Walsh says in Mayo close to 500 children are waiting more than 12 months to see a specialist.

    She told Midwest News today that the numbers waiting are completely unacceptable and has called for the appropriate staff to be hired to deal with the backlogs.

     

     

    She told Midwest News Editor Teresa O’Malley that the numbers waiting are completely unacceptable and has called for the appropriate staff to be hired to deal with the backlogs.

  • You would get an appointment with the Pope faster than some patients are waiting to see a consultant at Mayo University Hospital. That the view of the Cathaoirleach of Castlebar Municipal District, Michael Kilcoyne.

    More than 3,000 patients are waiting more than a year to see a consultant at Mayo University Hospital at present.

    Cathaoirleach Kilcoyne is a member of the HSE West forum and he submitted a question to the forum this month on the waiting times for patients to see a consultant at MUH.

    He was informed by HSE management in response that more than 3,000 patients are waiting more than a year to see a consultant at Mayo University Hospital . While more than 750 patients are waiting more than three years for an appointment.

    The Independent councillor told Midwest News that he is continuously being contacted by patients or the relatives of patients frustrated at the length of time they are waiting in pain and discomfort to see a consultant.

     

     

  • Nearly half a million people missed hospital outpatient appointments last year, that's around 1,300 people a day.

    The HSE figures released to the Irish Times shows that almost 20 percent were related to STIs and 18 percent were psychiatry appointments.

    Nearly one fifth of patients failed to show up at Mayo University hospital last year, while St James's in Dublin had 17% no shows.

    It comes as the HSE struggles to cut waiting lists in hospitals around the country.

  • The need to establish a Pain Clinic service at Mayo University Hospital was highlighted in the Seanad this week.

    Currently, thousands of people across Co Mayo who suffer from chronic pain have to travel to hospitals in Galway or Sligo, and Mayo Fianna Fail Senator Keith Swanick is campaigning for a Pain Clinic at the Mayo University Hospital in Castlebar.

    Senator Swanick, who's a GP in Erris, raised the matter this week with the Junior Health Minister Jim Daly, and says he has agreed to liaise with the HSE West in relation to the matter.

  • Despite additional funding being allocated for the National Winter Health Plan, no additional beds will open this Winter at either Mayo or Galway University Hospital.

    That's according to the Chief Operations Officer with the Saolta Hospital Group.

    Additional funding of €647,000 was confirmed last week for the Saolta Group and Community Healthcare West jointly, to support improved patient care in hospitals and community services in the West.

    However, Ann Cosgrove, Chief Operations Officer for the Saolta group, has confirmed to Midwest News that this will not result in the opening of any additional acute beds in this region.

    She says the majority of the funding will go towards community services,  focused on helping patients avoid hospital where possible.

     

  •  

    No funding has been allocated for the modular unit, which was promised a year ago to extend the Emergency Department at Mayo University Hospital.

    That’s according to Crossmolina-based Fianna Fail Councillor Michael Loftus, who raised the matter at yesterday’s meeting of the HSE West Forum.

    Councillor Loftus says it’s not good enough for the people of Mayo that this modular extension was announced last Winter, but has not been provided.

    He claims it’s having a knock-on effect on district hospitals across the county, and says the modular build would only cost around €500,000.

  • There are no plans by the HSE to construct a multi-story car park at Mayo University Hospital in Castlebar, despite the ongoing problem for patients and visitors accessing the hospital.

    That was confirmed by HSE management to Castlebar Independent councillor Michael Kilcoyne in response to a question submitted to a recent meeting of the HSE West forum.

    Despite almost 330,000 euro in net income from the carparking charges at the hospital last year (2017), and the constant raising by local councillors of the difficulties in elderly or disabled people accessing the facility from the car parking facilities available, the HSE has no plans to provide alternative parking.

  • HSE management have acknowledged that an ongoing dispute involving maintenance staff at Mayo University Hospital has resulted in some delays in getting maintenance work done at the hospital.

    Maintenance staff have been engaged in unofficial industrial action for several months, to highlight concerns over changes to their contract of employment.

    The protests have been taking place at lunchtime outside the hospital.

    Independent Castlebar Councillor Michael Kilcoyne raised the issue at a recent meeting of the HSE Regional Forum, and asked what impact the dispute is having.

    HSE management said the industrial action has resulted in some delays in getting general maintenance work done at the hospital, and said they're currently working with the maintenance department to resolve any issues.

    Councillor Kilcoyne told Midwest News that he believes the situation has been allowed to go on for too long.

  • Hospitals have begun cancelling thousands of medical appointments, planned for Thursday, as tensions between nurses and the government deepen.

    Up to 50,000 outpatient appointments and planned procedures nationally have not gone ahead today, with 37,000 INMO members picketing 240 hospitals and HSE facilities.

    In this region, pickets have been placed on Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo and Galway University Hospitals as well as Merlin Park and Portiuncla Hospitals in Co Galway as well as the injury unit at Roscommon Hospital.

    A number of primary care centres and nurse-led day centres are also closed.

    Another day of strike action on pay and staff shortages is planned for Thursday, leading to some hospitals texting patients to reschedule.

    Over 500 nurses and midwives are involved in today's protest outside Mayo University Hospital in Castlebar.

    Despite poor weather conditions, nurses turned out in big numbers to call for increased pay, and safer staffing levels on wards.

  • The number of patients on hospital trolleys has risen over the 700-mark today, making it one of the busiest days since records began.

    According to the latest trolley watch from the INMO, there are 714 patients on trolleys at hospitals across the country.

    University Hospital Limerick is the most-overcrowded with 80 patients on trolleys, followed by Galway University Hospital where 45 patients are on trolleys.

    There are 35 patients waiting for a bed this lunchtime at Sligo University Hospital and 24 at Mayo University Hospital, with 13 people on trolleys at Portiuncla Hospital in Ballinasloe.

     

     

     

  • A risk assessment is to be carried out, after a patient at Mayo University Hospital exited through a window to a flat roof, and fell about 30 foot, sustaining serious injuries.

    The incident happened a month ago, and the man involved was subsequently treated in the hospital's Intensive Care Department.

    Castlebar-based Independent Councillor Michael Kilcoyne raised the matter at yesterday's meeting of the HSE Regional Forum in Galway, where he asked management what investigation has taken place into the incident, and whether this risk had been brought to the attention of hospital management prior to this incident in late October.

    Councillor Kilcoyne says it's imperative that such risks are identified and eliminated, as a matter of urgency....