Mayo University Hospital

  • Despite additional funding being allocated for the National Winter Health Plan, no additional beds will open this Winter at either Mayo or Galway University Hospital.

    That's according to the Chief Operations Officer with the Saolta Hospital Group.

    Additional funding of €647,000 was confirmed last week for the Saolta Group and Community Healthcare West jointly, to support improved patient care in hospitals and community services in the West.

    However, Ann Cosgrove, Chief Operations Officer for the Saolta group, has confirmed to Midwest News that this will not result in the opening of any additional acute beds in this region.

    She says the majority of the funding will go towards community services,  focused on helping patients avoid hospital where possible.

     

  • The latest figures show a significant reduction in the number of patients in hospital with Covid-19.

    Nationally, there were 220 patients with the disease in hospital last night, down 41 on the figure reported earlier, according to the HSE.

    The number of Covid patients in intensive care units was unchanged at 58.

    Mayo University Hospital last night reported no patients with Covid-19  -for the first time this year.

    There are 9 Covid patients at Galway University Hospital, 5 at Portiuncla Hospital in Ballinasloe and 2 at Sligo Hospital.

  •  

    No funding has been allocated for the modular unit, which was promised a year ago to extend the Emergency Department at Mayo University Hospital.

    That’s according to Crossmolina-based Fianna Fail Councillor Michael Loftus, who raised the matter at yesterday’s meeting of the HSE West Forum.

    Councillor Loftus says it’s not good enough for the people of Mayo that this modular extension was announced last Winter, but has not been provided.

    He claims it’s having a knock-on effect on district hospitals across the county, and says the modular build would only cost around €500,000.

  • There are no confirmed cases of patients with Covid 19 at Mayo University Hospital today.

    According to the HSE’s figures at 8 p.m. yesterday, there were no cases in the Castlebar hospital.

    There had been two confirmed cases in MUH on Friday evening and Saturday.

  • There are no plans by the HSE to construct a multi-story car park at Mayo University Hospital in Castlebar, despite the ongoing problem for patients and visitors accessing the hospital.

    That was confirmed by HSE management to Castlebar Independent councillor Michael Kilcoyne in response to a question submitted to a recent meeting of the HSE West forum.

    Despite almost 330,000 euro in net income from the carparking charges at the hospital last year (2017), and the constant raising by local councillors of the difficulties in elderly or disabled people accessing the facility from the car parking facilities available, the HSE has no plans to provide alternative parking.

  • In response to a question from Midwest News yesterday on whether any relatives of staff at Mayo University Hospital received Covid19 vaccinations, Saolta, the group responsible for hospitals in this region, states it is not aware of and has no record of any vaccinations administered to hospital staff other than to the priority list.

    It goes on to say, the COVID-19 vaccination programme for hospital staff commenced in Mayo University Hospital on Wednesday 06 January.  In the first instance the vaccine was offered to hospital staff directly providing care to confirmed and suspect COVID-19 cases including ICU, the Emergency Department, the Covid Assessment Unit and the Covid wards. This includes support staff, porters and health and social care professionals along with clerical staff working in these areas also. Last week the vaccination programme was extended to include staff from the Community Healthcare West; the prioritisation of these staff was decided by Community Healthcare West.

    By the end of last week the hospital had administered over 860 vaccines. Vaccine clinics will continue to be scheduled according to the availability of the vaccine and all staff in the hospital will be offered the vaccine.  

     

  • 1,032 people with Covid-19 are in Irish hospitals today, the lowest number since January 7th.

    It's a 6 percent fall on yesterday, and 24 percent down on last Wednesday.

    This includes 178 people with Covid receiving treatment in intensive care units.

    In this region, the number of Covid-19 patients at Mayo University Hospital is continuing to fall, but is still the highest across the West.

    Last night's figures show 53 Covid patients at Mayo University Hospital - down from 58 the previous day, with 4 of these patients in ICU.

    There are 29 Covid patients being treated at Sligo University Hospital, 28 at Galway University Hospital and 6 at Portiuncla Hospital in Ballinasloe.

     

  • There has been a jump in the number of patients with confirmed cases  of Covid 19 today at Mayo University Hospital.

    The number of patients has risen from 9 to 19 over the past 48 hours.

    409 people are in hospital nationally  with the virus today, the highest in over seven months.

    It's 49 more than yesterday, after 36 patients were admitted in the space of 24 hours.

    The peak during the second wave, in October, was 354, and NPHET says hospitalisations are increasing 'earlier and faster' in the third wave.

    Infectious Disease Specialist at the RCSI Professor Sam McConkey says the over 400 people in hospital will be quite unwell.

  • Nurses at Mayo University Hospital claim the crossover of staff between Covid-19 patients and non-Covid patients has continued up to this week, despite a claim by the Saolta Hospital group that this practice had ceased a month ago.

    Following concerns highlighted last month by Castlebar Councillor Michael Kilcoyne about staff working with both positive and negative patients, Tony Canavan, CEO of the Saolta group, told Midwest News that this practice had been discontinued after 21st April.

    However, nurses this week say that, while they're wearing PPE gear at all times, they're still treating both Covid and non-Covid patients during their shifts.

    Councillor Kilcoyne, who's Cathaoirleach of the Castlebar Municipal District, is now calling on the Minister for Health to investigate what's going on at the Castlebar hospital, with the aim of preventing the further spread of the virus.

  • HSE management have acknowledged that an ongoing dispute involving maintenance staff at Mayo University Hospital has resulted in some delays in getting maintenance work done at the hospital.

    Maintenance staff have been engaged in unofficial industrial action for several months, to highlight concerns over changes to their contract of employment.

    The protests have been taking place at lunchtime outside the hospital.

    Independent Castlebar Councillor Michael Kilcoyne raised the issue at a recent meeting of the HSE Regional Forum, and asked what impact the dispute is having.

    HSE management said the industrial action has resulted in some delays in getting general maintenance work done at the hospital, and said they're currently working with the maintenance department to resolve any issues.

    Councillor Kilcoyne told Midwest News that he believes the situation has been allowed to go on for too long.

  • Visiting restrictions remain in place at hospitals across the Saolta Group - including Mayo and Sligo University Hospitals, University Hospital Galway and Merlin Park, Portiuncla Hospital in Ballinasloe and Roscommon University Hospital.

    The visiting restrictions were introduced last Friday and will continue this week, as an infection control measure.

    Members of the public are asked not to visit hospitals across the Saoltas group, other than end-of-life situations, and other exceptional circumstances, as agreed with the ward manager in advance of visiting.

    However, outpatient, X-Ray and other scheduled appointments and procedures are going ahead as usual at Mayo University Hospital.

    A hospital spokesperson said that, while restrictions are in place for visitors, the services at Mayo University Hospital are not impacted, and all clinics and procedures are running as normal.

     

  • Mayo University Hospital has announced that outpatient services are starting to resume at the hospital, but a number of changes have been introduced to reduce the risk of transmitting Covid-19.

    Once patients get notice of their outpatient appointment, they're advised to commence strict social distancing and pay additional attention to hand hygiene in the days before attending at the hospital.

    Patients should come alone to the hospital, but where a patient needs assistance, just one person should accompany them.

    Any patient showing symptoms of Covid-19, or if anyone in their household is showing potential symptoms, should not come to the hospital for their appointment.

    Also, patients are advised not to enter the hospital in advance of their appointment time.
    Patients will be asked to wait in their car until just before their appointment time, and on entering the hospital will be asked to sanitise their hands and wear a face mask if possible.

    Hospital Manager Catherine Donohoe says she understands some of the changes may be difficult for patients and their families, but their aim is to ensure they can receive their care as safely as possible.

     

     

  • There is currently over 12,000 people on a waiting list at Mayo University Hospital.

    9,484 are outpatients while 2,654 are inpatients.

    The HSE provided these figures to Castlebar based Councillor Michael Kilcoyne at yesterday’s regional Health Forum.

    Cllr. Kilcoyne says this figure could increase further as a result of Covid-19.

    He says some people are waiting over three years for a procedure which is a very serious concern.

    The Independent Councillor is now calling on the Department of Health and the Dail representatives in Mayo to deal with this as a matter of urgency.

  • Hospitals have begun cancelling thousands of medical appointments, planned for Thursday, as tensions between nurses and the government deepen.

    Up to 50,000 outpatient appointments and planned procedures nationally have not gone ahead today, with 37,000 INMO members picketing 240 hospitals and HSE facilities.

    In this region, pickets have been placed on Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo and Galway University Hospitals as well as Merlin Park and Portiuncla Hospitals in Co Galway as well as the injury unit at Roscommon Hospital.

    A number of primary care centres and nurse-led day centres are also closed.

    Another day of strike action on pay and staff shortages is planned for Thursday, leading to some hospitals texting patients to reschedule.

    Over 500 nurses and midwives are involved in today's protest outside Mayo University Hospital in Castlebar.

    Despite poor weather conditions, nurses turned out in big numbers to call for increased pay, and safer staffing levels on wards.

  • The number of patients on hospital trolleys has risen over the 700-mark today, making it one of the busiest days since records began.

    According to the latest trolley watch from the INMO, there are 714 patients on trolleys at hospitals across the country.

    University Hospital Limerick is the most-overcrowded with 80 patients on trolleys, followed by Galway University Hospital where 45 patients are on trolleys.

    There are 35 patients waiting for a bed this lunchtime at Sligo University Hospital and 24 at Mayo University Hospital, with 13 people on trolleys at Portiuncla Hospital in Ballinasloe.

     

     

     

  • A risk assessment is to be carried out, after a patient at Mayo University Hospital exited through a window to a flat roof, and fell about 30 foot, sustaining serious injuries.

    The incident happened a month ago, and the man involved was subsequently treated in the hospital's Intensive Care Department.

    Castlebar-based Independent Councillor Michael Kilcoyne raised the matter at yesterday's meeting of the HSE Regional Forum in Galway, where he asked management what investigation has taken place into the incident, and whether this risk had been brought to the attention of hospital management prior to this incident in late October.

    Councillor Kilcoyne says it's imperative that such risks are identified and eliminated, as a matter of urgency....

  • Many people who suspected that they had contracted Covid-19 tried in vain over the weekend to make contact with the HSE Helpline for the virus. While many knew they should not present at Emergency Departments of hospitals they felt there was no option but to do so.

    Frustrated, concerned and feeling unwell a number of such patients with a family member / friend arrived to Mayo University Hospital yesterday. On arrival the patients suspected of having the virus were handed masks to wear as they took their seats in the general waiting room. A waiting room, already busy with patients presenting with injured limbs and a range of other medical issues.

    Even when mask-wearing patients were called through to be examined/ treated, the person that had accompanied them in to the hospital remained in the general waiting room. In many cases these family members / friends had linked the sick patient into the hospital and sat closely beside them until they were called through for medical attention.

    How the spread of Covid -19 can be avoided if hospitals are not separating Covid -19 suspected patients and their family members / friends from the rest of the patients waiting in the Emergency Departments of hospitals is unclear.

    In response to a query from Midwest News to the HSE on the matter, a spokesperson says that from this morning (Monday) GPs will have access to a new electronic process to order tests for Covid-19.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

  • Management at Mayo University Hospital say the Emergency Department is very busy today, as the strike action by the INMO is having a significant impact on patient services across all hospitals in the Saolta group.

    Hospital management in Mayo are advising people only to attend the ED if absolutely essential.

    Management say they're continuing to work with the INMO on arrangements for the strike days to ensure services are provided safely, while outpatient, inpatient and day surgery appointments are being cancelled for the days of strike action.

     

  • A post-mortem examination is underway at Mayo University Hospital on the body of a man in his 60's who was shot dead near Ballyhaunis last night.

    A pathologist from the State Pathologist's office carried out a preliminary investigation earlier this afternoon at the rural farmhouse in Coogue, where the shooting took place just before midnight.

    A man in his 80's is still being detained at Castlebar Garda Station in connection with the incident, and Gardai say their enquiries are continuing.

    Both men were known to each other, and locals believe the deceased may have been mistaken for an intruder by the older man  - but this has not yet been confirmed.

    Local parish priest Fr Richard Gibbons was called to the scene in the early hours of this morning.

    Speaking to Midwest News, he's described the incident as a tragedy, and says the local community has been numbed by news of the fatal shooting.

     

  • Mayo University Hospital is extremely busy today, which has resulted in pressure on bed availability in the hospital.

    Hospital management say they regret that patients are currently experiencing long waiting times to be admitted from the Emergency Department to an acute bed in the hospital and know that these delays are very difficult for patients and their families.

    They are remining the public to attend the Emergency Department (ED) only in the case of real emergencies. If your health problem is not an emergency you should contact your GP during normal surgery hours or the WestDoc GP Out of hours service, in the first instance.

    The Injury Unit in Roscommon University Hospital is also open 8am to 8pm 7 days a week, 365 days a year to treat adults and children.

     In a statement to Midwest News, management say they are doing their best to treat everyone who presents at the ED and do so strictly in order of medical priority and apologise for the long wait times.

    Patients are asked to wait in the ED alone to help the hospital maintain social distancing. A companion will only be permitted in exceptional circumstances. This is necessary to minimise everybody’s risk of infection and to keep everyone safe.  Patients should wear a face covering/mask when in the ED.