Mayo News

  • Funding of over €5.7 million has been confirmed for Ireland West Airport Knock.

    The airport has been approved capital expenditure of over 4.7 million public policy remit-Capital funding of a little under one million euro.

    €4.7 million will go towards the runway overlay, €18,750 will go towards a snow vehicle and €18,750 for an airside maintenance vehicle.

    The PPR-Capital funding will be used for CCTV upgrade.

    €849,986 will be used to upgrade baggage screening and €90,000 for fire simulator and training ground upgrade.

    Minister for Rural & Community Development Michael Ring says this is a substantial boost to Ireland West Airport Knock and will help the airport to continue to develop as a top quality airport for the West and North West of the country.

    Minister Ring says 2011, Fine Gael led Governments have invested more than €23 million in Ireland West Airport Knock.

  • Funeral arrangements have been confirmed for the man who died while fishing on Lough Mask.

    The body of Sean Maloney of Church View, Ballinrobe was recovered on Saturday after an extensive search when he failed to return to shore after going out on the lake in early march.

    Sean’s remains will repose at Cummins Funeral Home, Ballinrobe on Wednesday evening from 5.30-7.30pm.

    His funeral Mass will take place on Thursday at 12 noon in St Mary’s Church with interment to Shannon crematorium afterwards.

     

  • The funeral arrangements have been confirmed for the victim of a fatal traffic accident in Swinford last Friday.

    Brian Bacon from Cloughvolley, Aghamore, and formerly of St. Helen's, Liverpool, died following a three-vehicle collision on the N5 at Carracanda, Swinford.

    The accident occurred at approximately 12.15pm on Friday.

    Mr. Bacon was pronounced dead at the scene and was removed to Mayo University Hospital for a post-mortem examination.

    The male driver of a second car received minor injuries from the collision.

    The deceased man’s remains will be removed from Kilcoyne's Funeral Home, Thomas Street, Castlebar, on Thursday at 11.30 a.m. to Shannon Crematorium for service at 2.30 p.m.

  • Funeral arrangements have been confirmed for a young woman killed in a road collision in Australia.

    23-year-old Amy Gill from Coolaught, Claremorris died in a two car collision in Melbourne earlier this month.

    The Mayo native had moved to Melbourne in January and had just started working on a farm

    Amy’s remains will repose at Donnellan’s Funeral Home, Lower James Street Claremorris on Sunday evening from 4pm until 8pm.

    She will be laid to rest in Barnacarroll Cemetery on Monday afternoon following 12 noon Funeral Mass in St Colman’s Church Claremorris.

     

  • GAA supporters travelling to the two games at Elverys MacHale Park this evening are being reminded that Mayo Co Council is carrying out road works outside Balla.

    A traffic management system is in place which could cause delays tonight.

    Please ensure you give yourself sufficient time to travel to the ground & take alternative routes where possible.

    Gardai are also asking supporters not to park on the N5 road into Castlebar for safety reasons. 

    They are also asking anyone who is walking any distance to the game to wear hi-viz vests so that they can be seen by motorists. 

  • A Galway Councillor has questioned the HSE on why agency staff are being used for clerical work, if there is a panel already there of people who are qualified for the job.

    Fianna Fail Cllr Mary Hoade raised the matter at the recent HSE Regional Health Forum meeting.

    She said she was aware of instances where agency staff are being used in clerical and admin positions but was informed by HSE management that this was generally down to a situation where the contract on offer was short term or was turned down by someone on the panel.

    Cllr Hoade says she is concerned about the cost of agency staff to the HSE, especially where there is a panel in operation.

  • Gardai in Ballina are advising people in the Lord Edward street, Kevin Barry Street, town centre and Ardnaree areas to close all windows and doors and to avoid going outside due to smoke following a fire in disused building.

    Gardai say no other buildings are at risk but there is a strong wind blowing smoke across the area which can be hazardous to people’s health and also to driving conditions.

    Traffic diversions are in place in Ballina at present.

  • Gardai are advising supporters attending tomorrow evening’s Allianz League game between Mayo and Roscommon in Castlebar to arrive early and not to park on the N5.

    Gardai say a crowd of between 12,000-15,000 is expected at Elverys MacHale Park for the game which throws in at 7pm.

    Gardai are advising those attending to arrive as early as possible and not to park on the N5 road – instead they should use the official car parks in the town and at the Military Barracks.

    If people are intending to walk to the ground they should wear florescent jackets so they are plainly visible.

    Supporters are asked to co-operate with Gardai and stewards on duty for the game.

    They are also advising that tickets are on sale prior to the match at local Super Valu and Centra outlets, at the early bird price of €15, as opposed to €20 on match day.

  • Gardai are appealing for the public’s assistance in locating a 13-year-old boy who is missing from the Carrowmore/Lacken area of Ballina since about 9.30 this morning.

    The boy is described as 5ft 7in in height, with black hair and blue eyes. When last seen he was wearing green tracksuit bottoms and a dark navy or black hoodie.

    Anyone with information is asked to contact Ballina Garda Station on 096-20560.

  • Gardaí in Swinford are appealing for witnesses to a fatal road traffic collision which occurred at Carracanada, Swinford at approximately 12.15pm yesterday.

    The collision involved a truck and two cars resulting in the death of a 64 year old male driver of one of the cars, who was pronounced dead at the scene. The deceased was removed to Mayo University Hospital in Castlebar for a post mortem examination. A male driver of a second car received minor injuries.

    This stretch of road was closed to facilitate an examination by Garda Forensic Collision Investigators but has since reopened.

    Gardaí wish to appeal for witnesses to contact Swinford Garda Station on 094-9252990, The Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.

     

     

     

  • Gardai in Ballina are investigating after a fire to a disused building in the town yesterday evening.

    Four units of Mayo Fire Service attended the scene of the blaze shortly after 4pm yesterday after reports of smoke coming from an old Warehouse on Connolly Street.

    The cause of the fire is currently unknown.

    The roof of the old warehouse contained asbestos so a clean-up will necessitate the closure of the street.

    Gardai have confirmed to Midwest News this morning that the building is continuing to smoulder and Connolly Street will remain closed until the scene is cleared and deemed safe.

  • Gardai in Ballina are investigating the sudden death of a woman in her early 70's who passed away at her home in Bunree in the early hours of this morning.

    Her body has been removed to Mayo University Hospital, where a post-mortem examination will take place.

    Investigations are ongoing.

     

     

  • The Gardai have issued their usual road safety message ahead of the St Patrick’s Bank Holiday weekend festivities.

    Gardai says they are appealing to all road users to take extra care this weekend, as there will be an increase in traffic due to people travelling to different parts of the country and parades.

    A total of 34 people have died on Irish roads so far this year, which is up nine on the same period in 2018. Drivers and passengers account for nearly three-quarters of all road fatalities and Garda figures show that, in one in three fatalities, no seat-belt was worn.

    Gardai are advising that they will have a Bank Holiday Weekend Enforcement Campaign which will, in particular target failure to wear seat belts, distraction driving like the use of mobile phones and/or mobile devices, driving while intoxicated and speeding.

    Superintendent Noel Kelly Regional Roads Policing Superintendent for the Western Region told Midwest News that Gardai will be on duty across the region this weekend.

  • Gardaí in Ballina are appealing to the public for assistance in tracing the whereabouts of 13-year-old Jake Bagnell from Carrowmore Lacken.

    Jake was last seen at Lacken Cross, Killala at approximately 9:30am on Friday morning.

    He is described as approximately 5ft 7in in height, with black hair, and of thin build with blue eyes. When last seen he was wearing green tracksuit bottoms, dark navy or black hooded jacket, white and black Adidas runners.

    Anyone with information is asked to contact Ballina Garda Station 096 20560 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.

  • Gardai are seeking the public’s assistance in tracing the whereabouts of a 16-year-old girl missing from Castlebar since yesterday afternoon.

    Mary McDonagh is described as being 5’ 2’’ tall, of slight build and with long brown hair with blond streaks. When last seen she was wearing a black raincoat with a furry hood, blue jeans, a red top and black and white runners.

    Mary may have travelled to Dublin.

    Anyone who has seen Mary or who can assist in locating her is asked to contact Castlebar Garda Station on 094 9038200 or any Garda Station.

     

     

  • Gardai are warning people to be mindful of their belongings and not to leave valuables in their cars ahead of the Bank Holiday weekend.

    Sgt Peter Hanley from Castlebar Garda Station told Midwest News today that there is a big weekend coming up in and around the town, with the Mayo Day event at the Museum of Country Life, Turlough and the Pink Ribbon Cycle today and the Western People West of Ireland Women’s Mini-Marathon on Sunday.

    He says that people often park their cars up and then place belongings in the boot of the car, in full view of everyone. He is strongly advising against this, as potential burglars could be watching this. He is asking people to secure their valuables before parking and not to leave anything visible in cars.

     

  • The general licence has been granted for Eir to install 300k fibre broadband into the Swinford and Foxford areas.

    The development is very welcome, according to local Fine Gael Councillor Neil Cruise.

    The Councillor says it’s vital infrastructure for rural areas, and he said it’s real progress ahead of the National Broadband Plan being rolled out by government.

  • Today at Castlebar Circuit Court, Judge Rory McCabe imposed a fine of €500,000 on Harrington Concrete and Quarries ULC for three separate breaches of health and safety legislation.

    The company, Harrington Concrete and Quarries ULC, had earlier pleaded guilty to three offences under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005, namely;

    • Section 8(2)(c)(iii) & Section 77(9)(a), failure to ensure safe plant and machinery, particularly no sufficient edge protection/barrier to the crusher and the area around it resulting in the death of Mr. Joseph Harrington.
    • Section 8(2)(e) & Section 77(2)(a), failure to ensure a safe system of work was in place for the unblocking of the crusher.
    • Section 20(2), failure to ensure the safety statement contained safe operating procedures and instructions for the operation of the crusher.

    The prosecution arose after a fatal accident that occurred on June 11th 2015 at Carrowscoilta Quarry, Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo.  An employee of the company, Mr. Joseph Harrington, was fatally injured when he fell into an inadequately guarded stone crusher at the quarry operated by Harrington Concrete (no relation) and Quarries ULC. 

    The company pleaded guilty to three charges, in that they failed to adequately guard the crusher, that they failed to ensure there were safe systems in place to unblock the crusher and that they failed to ensure the safety statement was in accordance with the legislation.

    Mark Cullen, Assistant Chief Executive of the Health and Safety Authority said, “It is vital that employers ensure that they provide safe plant and machinery and that there are appropriate safe systems of work in place designed to protect their employees. Furthermore, such measures should be specified in the company safety statement. The failures that contributed to this incident are clear and the consequences for Mr Harrington and his family were tragic.”

     

  • A homeowner in a village outside Castlebar, recently knocked a house and rebuilt a house, an apartment and a commercial unit on the same site.

    He did all the work himself in disconnecting the house from the water and sewerage system and then reconnecting to the new build, and Irish Water charged him in excess of 14,000 euro, simply for the reconnection.

    That is a ridiculous charge, according to the Mayor of Castlebar, Independent Councillor Michael Kilcoyne, and he has written to Irish Water on behalf of his constituent to express that view.

    He also raised the matter at the monthly meeting of Mayo County Council earlier this week, calling for the local authority to intervene if the national utility company insists on charging large fees for no work. He argued that there will be no building in rural Ireland if situations like this are allowed to continue.

  • Housing prices nationally rose by 2.9% during the first three months of 2019, according to the latest Daft.ie House Price Report released today by Ireland’s largest property website, Daft.ie. The national average price in the first quarter of the year was €261,000, up 5.9% on the figure for the same period last year, an increase of €15,000 on average. It is the 22nd consecutive quarter that the national average price was higher than a year ago.

    In Mayo, prices in the first three months of 2019 were 7% higher than a year previously, compared to a rise of 3% seen a year ago. The average house price is now €156,000, 40% above its lowest point.

    In Galway county there is a 4% increase to an average of €201,542; in Sligo prices are up 7.3% to an average of €142,936 and in Roscommon prices have seen a 9% increase to an average of €145,652.

    Prices also rose strongly in the four other main cities, with increases of 2.5% in Cork and 3.4% in Galway, between December and March. Limerick (3.6%) saw the largest increases of all the cities, while outside the cities, prices rose by 2.5% on average.

    In Dublin, prices in the first three months of 2019 were 4% higher than a year previously, compared to a rise of 8% seen a year ago. The average house price is now €383,000, 74% above its lowest point. In Dublin, prices reached their lowest point in the second quarter of 2012 and have risen by an average of 74% - or €163,000 - since that time. In four Dublin postal districts, prices have doubled in that time

    The number of properties available to buy on the market nationwide was just over 22,500 in March, up 11% year-on-year. This increase is being driven by Dublin, where availability is up 40% year-on-year, and to a lesser extent other urban areas and the rest of the Greater Dublin area. In Munster, availability is largely unchanged, while in Connacht-Ulster, stock on the market is still falling.