HSE

  • The cervical cancer steering committee will meet later this morning, after a week of controversy which has dogged the national screening programme.

    Patient representatives will get an opportunity to question health officials over why 800 women experienced delays in getting their HPV virus test results.

    This latest Cervical Check problem arose exactly one week ago, when it emerged around 800 women who underwent screening were not issued with their results due to a so-called IT issue with the Quest lab in the U.S.

    That figure has now been revised upwards to 856 women.

    52 women had a changed result after their re-test, and tested positive for the HPV virus.

    26 of those have been referred on for colposcopies.

    The HSE says the clinical risk to their health is low and is trying to contact the GPs of the other 26 women.

    This morning the cervical cancer steering committee will meet.

    It's made up of health officials, senior civil servants and patient advocates Stephen Teap and Lorraine Walsh, the founders of a support group for women affected by Cervical Check issues.

    Questions around whether all 52 women have been notified of their results, if they've all been referred for appropriate follow-up, whether the other 800 women affected have been told, why it took the HSE so long to tell the Department of Health, and how can public confidence be restored in Cervical Check will dominate.

  • The head of the HSE says there's "huge concern" over the Covid 19 trends in hospitals.

    30 people are being treated in intensive care with the disease, the highest figure since early June.

    That includes 8 admissions in the last 24 hours.

    The overall numbers in hospital with coronavirus have also risen to 179.

    HSE CEO Paul Reid says they're watching the numbers very closely.

  • Almost six and a half thousand older people across the country are currently on a waiting list for home care support from the HSE.

    The biggest waiting list in the CHO2, which comprises Mayo, Galway and Roscommon with 1,482 people waiting for home support hours.

    The figures, obtained by Fianna Fail, show that between January and March, the HSE missed its target of home support hours by around 40,000 hours - or almost 10%.

    Mayo Fianna Fail TD Lisa Chambers is asking why those targets are being missed- particularly in the Western counties, where older people are waiting for basic supports in order to continue living at home.

  • 1.6 million doses of covid 19 vaccinations have now been administered in Ireland.

    The latest figures show that over 788,000 doses were given out in the month of April- almost 200 thousand in the last week alone.

    From tomorrow, those aged 59 can apply online for their vaccine.

    CEO of the HSE Paul Reid says the rollout is gaining momentum.

  • Health services are to be severely disrupted this Thursday as ten thousand health support staff are set to take strike action.

    A variety of support-staff grades, including chefs, porters and healthcare assistants, are involved in a pay dispute with the HSE.

    The industrial action will hit patients in 38 hospitals and health facilities around the country.

    Talks aimed at resolving the row ended without agreement at the Workplace Relations Commission last night. Siptu's Paul Bell says the strike is now a certainty.

    The HSE will today commence contingency preparations the 24-hour strike.

     

  • 10,000 health workers will go on strike on Wednesday if further talks on Monday aren't successful.

    Support-staff at various grades are involved in a row over pay and a jobs evaluation scheme with the HSE.

    Talks took place between both sides at the Workplace Relations Commission over the last two days.

    After some progress, it was announced that Tuesday's strike was called off.

     Siptu's Paul Bell says as things stand, a 24-hour stoppage will go ahead at 38 hospitals and health facilities on Wednesday.

  • Over 15 thousand people across the country have been vaccinated against Covid 19 so far. 

    The HSE says its target is to administer 35 thousand doses by the end of this week. 

    Its CEO Paul Reid says an agreement to use private hospitals is being finalised and that he expects all of them to sign up urgently.

    However he described the current situation with Covid 19 as quite bleak.

  • At least 169 people have been waiting at least a year to be seen by the HSE's National Counselling Service.

    All of those waiting over a year are based in Galway, Mayo and Roscommon.

    The HSE figures, released under the Freedom of Information Act, reveal there are over 10,000 people on waiting lists across the country for the National Counselling Service.

    The statistics involve counselling in primary care, along with those who've suffered a bereavement or need help due to suicidal thoughts or self-harm.

    At least 721 people have been waiting at least seven months, and 169 have been waiting over a year.

    All of those on the list for more than a year are in Galway, Mayo and Roscommon. 

  • There are currently 18 vacant hospital consultants posts at Galway University Hospitals, while across the country, new figures show almost 350 hospital consultant posts are vacant.

    The HSE figures in today's Irish Times show there are now more than 1 in 10 hospital consultants posts vacant across the health service.

     

     

  • The Minister for Health has announced that people aged 35-39 can register for a Covid-19 vaccine from Sunday.

    In a post on Twitter, Minister Stephen Donnelly said registration will open on Sunday for 39 year olds, Monday for 38 year olds and so on.

    Registration is via the HSE website.

     

  • There are 365 new cases of Covid-19 confirmed this evening.

    A county-by-county breakdown is not yet available, following the cyber attack on the HSE.

    103 patients are in hospital with the virus this evening - 24 fewer than last night.

    41 of these patients are in intensive care - down three on this time yesterday.

  • Ambulance workers from the Psychiatric Nurses Association say they've been left with no choice but to go on strike.

    500 of them have begun a 24 hour walkout across the country as part of a dispute over union recognition.

    The workers will still deal with emergencies and the HSE says all calls are being responded to.

    Bertie Dowling is an advanced paramedic in Mayo and he told Midwest News that there has been no movement in this dispute.

    “It’s just about Union recognition, we just want our union to represent us,” said Mr Dowling.

    “They won’t even tell us the reasons why they won’t talk to us.”

  • There are 503 new cases of Covid-19 confirmed this evening.

    101 patients are currently in hospital with the virus, with 38 in intensive care.

    No information on Covid-related deaths is available, due to the effects of the cyber-attack on HSE computer systems.

    A county-by-county breakdown of new cases is not available either, as a result of the ransomware attack.

     

  •  

    62 Covid patients are in hospital today - a drop of 2 from yesterday - with 16 of these patients in intensive care.

    The HSE's chief executive, Paul Reid, says Covid-19 cases, testing and positivity rates are all increasing.

    Mr Reid is asking people to take note of these 'early warning signs'.

  • The number of senior managers in the HSE has increased by 80pc in just six years, according to new figures released to Fianna Fáil.

    There are 1,329 staff members employed at Grade VIII or above, compared with 744 in 2012.

    The salary scale for a Grade VIII clerical worker begins at around €48,000.

    The deputy leader of Fianna Fáil Dara Calleary told Midwest News today that the recruitment crisis in front line staff clearly does not extend to management.

    He said the increase in managers had not led to improvements in service provision in the past six years.

    Last week the deputy highlighted that waiting list inpatient appointments nationally now stand close to one million .

     

  • The HSE says sourcing enough personal protective equipment remains a challenge.

     

    It's confirmed a second batch of gowns, gloves, masks and face shields will start arriving in the coming weeks.

     

    The consignment from China will be worth around 130 million euro.

     

    The executive says issues with the quality of previous supplies of PPE have now been addressed,

  • A two day strike by ambulance personnel members of the Psychiatric Nurses Association gets underway this morning.

    500 members will take part in the industrial action between 7am and 5pm today and tomorrow, in their ongoing row with the HSE over union recognition.

    It follows two previous strike dates on January 22nd and February 15th.

  • The head of the HSE says it's looking at "all options and scenarios" when it comes to administering Covid-19 vaccines to 12-15-year-olds.

    The National Immunisation Advisory Committee's set to issue updated advice on its use on teenagers shortly.

    It's after EU regulators approved the use of Pfizer on the age cohort back in May.

    HSE CEO Paul Reid says work's already underway in anticipation of new NIAC guidance.

  •  Almost 5 million euro has been spent on ambulances to Mayo University Hospital over the past seven years, and according to Erris based Sinn Fein Senator Rose Conway Walsh it’s too high a price to pay when the service is not under HSE control.

    The senator says the spending €4.8 million on private ambulances since 2011 does not constitute value for money and the money should instead have been spent purchasing and staffing new ambulances.

     She claims that the ambulance services in the HSE have suffered from years of cuts, under investment, and privatisation of ambulance services with over €31 million being spent on private ambulances by the HSE nationally since 2011.

    Mayo University Hospital and the State, she believes, need to ensure that we have a high quality, publicly owned stock of ambulances instead of putting money into the pockets of private companies which does not constitute fiscal prudence.

  • The Alzheimer’s Day Care Centre in Castlebar will remain a five day per week service and the transport service from other parts of the county to the centre will be retained.

    That has been confirmed this evening by the Alzheimer’s Society of Ireland to Mayo Fianna Fail Deputy Dara Calleary this evening.

    Funding shortfalls meant that there was a proposal to reduce the centre to a three day per week service and cut the transport services to it.

    However following negotiations between the HSE and the Alzheimer’s Society of Ireland, that threat has been lifted.