Galway

  • There is extensive flooding on roads this morning following very heavy rain over the last 24 hours.

    Up to 50 millimetres of rain is likely to fall in parts of Ireland today, causing more localised flooding.

    A yellow rainfall warning is place for Connacht and Donegal until 3 o'clock this afternoon.

    Forecasters are also warning of winds of up to 110 kilometres an hour today in Mayo, Galway, Donegal, and Kerry.

  • A status Yellow weather alert came into force for 11 counties yesterday as Met Éireann warned of torrential rainfall up until lunchtime today.

    The alert came into force at 4pm yesterday and will remain in place until noon today.

     

    Motorists and commuters were warned of potentially heavy showers which could see up to 40mm of rain falling in some areas.

     

    Gardaí and the Road Safety Authority (RSA) urged people to drive with care given the likelihood of spot-flooding along some roads in the west and south.

     

    The Status Yellow rainfall alert applies to Mayo, Galway, Sligo, Leitrim, Wicklow, Cavan, Donegal, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford.

  • A status yellow rainfall warning remains in place today for five counties in the West & Northwest.

    Mayo, Galway, Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal can expect persistent and occasionally heavy rain for the rest of today and into tonight (Thursday).

    Met Eireann says the highest rainfall will be in coastal areas and on hills and mountains, with a risk of localised flooding in places.

    The status yellow warning remains in place until midnight tonight.

  • A status yellow snow-ice warning has been issued for Munster and Leinster.

    It also applies to counties Cavan, Monaghan, Galway and Roscommon.

    It's valid from 2 pm today until 8 am tomorrow morning.

    Met Eireann Forecaster Harm Luijkx says low temperatures will see rain turning to snow this afternoon.

  • Met Eireann has issued a status yellow rainfall and wind warning for counties Mayo and Galway from tomorrow (Fri) evening.

    Rain on Friday evening through to Saturday morning will lead to accumulations of 20 – 40mm, with higher accumulations in mountainous areas. This will bring a risk of localised flooding and heightened risk of flash flooding in mountainous areas.

    The rainfall warning remains in place until 9am on Saturday morning.

    While a status yellow wind warning for both Mayo and Galway, together with Donegal, Clare and Kerry has been issued from 10pm tomorrow night through to 7am Saturday morning.

    South to southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts of 90 to 110 km/h. Winds speeds may be higher in coastal and exposed areas.

     

  • A status Yellow Wind and Rain warning is in place at present across Connaught counties.

    Both came into effect in the early hours of this morning.

    Southeasterly winds are expected to reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/hr. Gusts will exceed these values in exposed coastal areas and on higher ground, especially in the southwest.

    A Status Yellow rainfall warning has been issued for 13 counties nationally, including counties Mayo and Galway.

    The warnings will remain in place until 6pm this evening.

    Heavy rain is expected to lead to accumulations of around 25 to 40mm - but forecasters warned it may exceed these limits in mountainous areas.

    While no problems with flooding has been reported across the county so far this morning, Mayo County Council is advising motorists of possible flooding along the R-313 Belmullet Blacksod road due to winds and high tides of up to 5.5m and possible flooding may occur on Shore road, School road and Bridge road in Belmullet due to the weather

    Residents and motorists along these roads are advised to take due caution.

  • A Status Yellow wind warning has been issued for Mayo and Galway this evening.

    The alert is in effect from four o'clock this afternoon until 1 o'clock Sunday morning.

    It will become very windy this evening and for a time tonight with some heavy rain.

    South to southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h, gusting up to 100km/h, strongest in coastal areas.

    There is also a risk of spot flooding across County Mayo.

  • Eight coastal counties are on alert this morning as strong winds hit the country.

    Four status yellow warnings are in place, with Met Eireann predicting gusts of 110 kilometres per hour, as well as coastal flooding.

    The affected counties are Mayo, Galway, Donegal, Kerry, Cork, Waterford, Wexford and Wicklow.

  • Gusts could reach more than 110 kilometres an hour in parts of the region this afternoon.

    Met Eireann has issued a status yellow wind warning for counties Mayo, Galway, Leitrim, Donegal, Sligo and Clare.

    Forecaster Joanna Donnelly says the alert is in effect until seven o'clock this evening.

  • There's a warning for strong winds and high seas tonight and tomorrow, with a risk of flooding in coastal areas.

    Seven coastal counties in the west and south including Mayo & Galway are under an orange warning for wind, with yellow-level warnings in place for the rest of the island.

    Met Éireann says Storm Emma is bringing with it a storm surge, heavy swells and onshore winds, raising the prospect of coastal flooding.

  • Storm Hector is at its worst at the moment with two separate weather warnings in place.

    An orange wind warning is in place for Donegal, Galway, Mayo and Sligo - while there's a yellow warning for 13 other counties including Roscommon, Leitrim, Dublin, Kildare, Clare and Kerry.

    There's also a risk of coastal flooding as the winds coincide with high spring tides.

    Met Eireann's Gerry Murphy says the winds will east throughout the day:

    The warning remains in place until 10am this morning.

    Storm Hector has left many areas without power this morning.

    There are over 1450 homes without power in the Castlerea area – power is expected to be restored there around now.

    There are over 540 without power in the Knock area, and another 450 in the Claremorris area with power expected to be restored there between 11-12 noon. There are over 160 homes without power in Knockaphunta, Castlebar with an estimated restoration time of 11.45. Also the Westport area where 65 homes are without power and the same estimated restoration time. And 111 in the Louisburgh area, with about 14 in the Newport area.

    There are 31 without power in Cong and again power is expected to be restored there around 11.45.

    There are 220 homes without power in the Ballyhaunis area with power expected to be restored around 11am.

    In the Ardnaree area there are 74 homes without power with an estimated restoration time of 12 noon.

    In the Ballaghaderreen 271 homes without power, where it is expected to be restored around 2pm, while there are around 30 homes without power in the Moyne area.

    In Headford there are 1120 homes with power with an estimated restoration time of 10am.

    In the Athenry area there are 1240 homes without power with an estimated restoration time of 11am.

    Another 22 homes in Boyle are without power with no estimated restoration time.

    The storm has left debris on many roads this morning so motorists are advised to take care.

    A tree is blocking the road at Mountain, Aghamore, just after the turnoff for Tooreen if you are heading for Ballyhaunis.

    The road is blocked just after Robeen School, with trees down. There is also a large tree down on the Rinnaney to Foxford Road on a bend. There is a tree down as you approach the Rathfran Crossroads from Tooreen, Carrowmore Lacken and one down before Templemary NS and just after it as well.

    There is also a tree down on the way into Ballymoe from the Castlerea side, just before the bridge. The road is passable but half blocked there.

    There are branches down on the Kilmovee Road, the first bad bend after Crennane turning. Very dangerous as the road is half covered.

    Also branches down in the Lisacul area this morning as well. There are heavy branches down on the Castleplunkett to Tulsk Road and the Castlecoote to Oran Road, via Donamon is littered with debris, branches and open gates. Caution advised.

    Head of Communications at Mayo County Council, Martina Hughes confirmed “ Road crews at Mayo County Council have been mobilised since early morning to deal with the damage caused with Storm Hector in the County overnight.

    Fallen trees and branches together with debris on roads appear to be the main concerns across the various areas.  In the wider Claremorris Municipal district 9 trees are down and work has commenced in clearing these trees. In the Ballina Municipal district road crews are clearing fallen trees in Pamerstown Killalla  and Carramore-lacken .  Clean up operations are also underway in the wider Castlebar and Westport areas.

    Mayo County Council would encourage the public to drive safely on the roads this morning and to adhere to the weather warning while in place. Please be aware of the potential of fallen trees, branches, electricity wires, debris on the roads and walk-ways and flooding.  Please exercise caution in coastal areas”

    Please contact your local area office if you have any concerns as a result of storm damage.

     

     

  • Students attending college in Galway this year can expect to see college accommodation increasing in price by between 3 and 4%.

    A new survey by the Irish Independent shows every college has increased rent costs for the new academic year- at a time when high rents mean students are being priced out of the market for private accommodation.

    The highest rent hike is in Cork where UCC raised its prices by over 11% for its Mardyke Hall accomodation.

    At NUI Galway, rent for a twin bed at Corrib Village has increased by 4% to €3,630, while a single ensuite room at Goldcrest Village is up 4% to €6,500 for the next academic year.

    The most expensive college accomodation is UCD's Roebuck Castle at over €11,500.

     

     

  • A new study for the Saolta Hospital Group concludes that a new acute hospital should be built on the Merlin Park site in Galway.

    The external assessment and options appraisal process conducted by KPMG and Scott Tallon Walker Architects looked at existing infrastructure at both the UHG and Merlin Park sites, and concluded that a new fit-for-purpose 1,150 bed actue hospital, to meet the needs of the large geographic area it serves, should be developed at the Merlin Park site to serve patients from Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal. 

    The study also says the most appropriate location for a regional elective hospital is also in the Merlin Park hospital site - and says a new elective hospital will significantly improve patient access to elective care by reducing waiting times and cancellations.

    While these developments could take at least 15 years to develop, the Saolta Hospital group says there's a crucial  need for work to continue on a number of approved developments at the University Hospital Galway site, including the new Emergency Department and new Radiation Oncology facility.

    The options appraisal also recommended developing new pathology lab facilities and new cancer facilities at UHG which would allow the hospital to provide  new rapid access clinics and replace existing sub-standard day ward and outpatient facilities - many of which were constructed in the 1950's and do not meet standards required to deliver a modern cancer service.

  • Three big Super League games rounded off the decade in Irish basketball at the weekend, with Galway side Maree defeating Coughlan C & S by 99 points to 92  after overtime.

    Fellow Galway side Moycullen managed to hold out to get a 69-60 home win over Pyrobel Killester on Saturday evening.

    And in the Basketball Ireland Men's Division one, Sligo side EJ Sligo All-Stars lost out to Fr Mathews on a 76-70 point scoreline.

  • The judiciary is "letting the whole country down" in the way it handles compensation cases, according to the founder of Supermacs.

    Galway's Pat McDonagh believes the current system is not working.

    He wants a greater sense of urgency from politicians to tackle Ireland's compensation culture.

    He says there must be a complete overhaul of how personal injuries claims are dealt with in order to protect businesses.

  • Supermac’s has announced that it will introduce 100 percent recyclable cups, paper straws, and create Green teams in each of its outlets nationwide as part of a major initiative to Go Green.

    Glan and Glas / Clean and Green Initiative will begin to be experienced by customers from September.

    The announcement was made by Minister Denis Naughten at the official opening earlier this week of the newly redeveloped Casey’s Service Station in Roscommon town.

  • Galway-based companies Supermac's and the Só Hotels Group have announced the creation of 300 new jobs.

    Owned by Pat and Una McDonagh, Supermacs is to open 3 new outlets this year in Wexford, Waterford and Kinnegad with the creation of 200 new jobs.

    The company currently has 116 outlets across the country.

    100 further jobs will be created through the redevelopment and refurbishment of the Athlone Springs Hotel, the Castle Oaks Hotel in Limerick and the Killeshin Hotel in Portlaoise, which are part of the Só Hotel group also owned by the McDonaghs.

    The Minister for Business, Enterprise & Innovation Heather Humphreys is today announcing the creation of 300 jobs, and has congratuled Pat & Una McDonagh on their achievements, saying it's especially pleasing to see an Irish company creating local jobs.

     

     

  • Fast food chain Supermacs is calling for answers from Galway GAA about how it spent almost €1.6 million euro in sponsorship money.

    It's broken down five years of payments in a statement posted on its website tonight.

    The firm says it raised financial concerns with the board four years ago.

    GAA authorities and accounting firm Mazars were brought in to examine the state of the county's finances last year and a meeting in December last year heard concerns expressed over practices in the period of 2015-17.

    The use of an official credit card for personal expenses, officer expenses of €45,000 and a debt of €390,000 to Croke Park for All-Ireland final tickets were among the revelations.

    A 103-acre site in Athenry that was bought in 2006 for €2.8m and earmarked for a centre of excellence was sold at a loss of almost €2m last year. 

    Supermac's, founded by Galway native Pat McDonagh, has been a sponsor of at least one of the county's teams since 1991 and has now demanded clarity on where their total contributions of almost €1.6 million over the last five years have gone.

  • For the first time in its history, the Supreme Court will sit in Galway later this morning.

    The court will convene at NUI Galway for the next three days.

    Today's sitting marks the first time the Supreme Court will hear cases outside of a courthouse setting in the Aula Maxima in Galway's NUI.

    It's also only the third time the court will travel outside of Dublin for cases.

    To mark this historic sitting in Galway, the first ever Annual Report of the Supreme Court will be presented.

    On Wednesday, the court will hear an appeal over whether An Bord  Pleanála breached its legal obligations in how it approved the first phase of Apple's planned data centre in Athenry.

     

  • The Supreme Court has dismissed Denis O'Brien's appeal against a failed legal action in relation to statements made about him during a Dáil debate.

    He claimed two TDs effectively decided a case before the courts, by revealing details about his private banking affairs with the IBRC in 2015.

    Mr O'Brien's Supreme Court appeal focused on the way the Dáil's Committee on Procedure and Privileges handled his complaint afterwards.

    But sitting at NUI Galway, the Chief Justice Frank Clarke said the court found nothing wrong with the High Court judge's decision not to intervene