Galway

  • The first site by site survey of facilities and conditions for Travellers in Galway has found widespread violations of human rights standards.

    The report, released today, was carried out by the Galway Traveller Community in cooperation with the county's Traveller Movement.

    It found the main problem areas are sanitation, water and power supply.

  • Tributes have been paid to five Galway teenagers who rescued a man from the river Corrib during the Macnas parade in Galway on Sunday evening.

    14-year old Seán Oliver and four of his teenage friends pulled the man from the fast flowing waters shortly after 6pm as thousands of people had gathered for the Halloween street festival.

    The teenagers, who have sought to play down their actions, were in a rigid inflatable boat (Rib) and en route to tie up and watch the parade at the time.

    Seán Oliver is a trained boat handler and has been a member of Galway Sea Scouts.

    His uncle Dave Oliver, who works with the Galway Fire Service and is an RNLI lifeboat coxswain, had just come off duty when he was alerted to a man in the water.

    Mr Oliver ran down towards the pier and called out to his nephew in the Rib.

    He said it was dark, and they found it difficult to see the man at first, but then managed to haul him into their boat.

    Galway Fire Brigade and ambulance personnel were at the scene within minutes.

    The man was given emergency medical treatment and taken by ambulance to University Hospital Galway, where he has made a recovery.

     

     

     

     

  • Five members of the All Ireland-winning Galway side have been rewarded with places on the Electric Ireland Minor Star Awards Hurling Team of the Year.

    This year's beaten finalists Kilkenny have four on the team, Tipperary have three, Dublin two, and there's a lone nod to Limerick in the form of Cathal O'Neill.

    Electric Ireland GAA Minor Star Hurling Team of the Year

    1. Patrick Rabbitte – Galway, (St. Mary’s)
    2. Conor Whelan – Tipperary, (CJ Kickhams)
    3. Shane Jennings – Galway, (Ballinasloe)
    4. Jamie Young – Kilkenny, (O’Loughlin Gaels)
    5. Darragh Maher – Kilkenny, (St. Lachtain’s)
    6. Seán Neary – Galway, (Castlegar)
    7. Seán Phelan – Tipperary, (Nenagh Eire OG)
    8. Conor Kelly – Kilkenny, (O’Loughlin Gaels)
    9. Donal Leavy – Dublin, (Naomh Olaf)
    10. James Devaney – Tipperary, (Borris-Ileigh)
    11. Cathal O’Neill – Limerick, (Crecora-Manister)
    12. Ciarán Brennan – Kilkenny, (Bennettsbridge)
    13. Luke Swan – Dublin, (Castleknock)
    14. Donal O’Shea – Galway, (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
    15. Dean Reilly – Galway, (Pádraig Pearses)
  • Five people have been hospitalised following a crash in Co. Galway.

    The two-vehicle collision happened at 8:20am this morning at Castletown Cross, Kilkerrin.

    Two men and three women were taken by ambulance to University Hospital Galway, where their conditions are not currently known.

    Gardai have launched an investigation into the crash.

  • Progress on delivering a new emergency department at University Hospital Galway is very slow, and five years down the line from when it was first promised, planning permission has not yet been sought for the development.

    In the meantime, demand on the department is increasing with more than 5,000 patients presenting themselves at the hospital’s ED in each of the months July, August and September of this year. That’s a 4 percent increase on the same period last year.

    The matter was raised at this week’s HSE West Forum Meeting in Merlin Park by two Galway based Councillors, Headford Fianna Fail Councillor Mary Hoade, and Galway city based Fine Gael Councillor Padraig Conneely.

    Both Councillors expressed concerns that the new ED plans are not moving quickly enough.

    Cllr Hoade says she is aware of many patients who have scheduled surgery in Galway, being told the evening before admission, that due to the volume of patients in the ED that their surgery has been postponed.

    Cllr Conneely told Teresa that he cannot understand why all the groups and agencies involved in progressing the delivery of an urgently required new ED in Galway cannot come together in one room and get things sorted.

     

  • Met Eireann is warning that several parts of the country could be hit by flooding today as storm Helene makes its way towards Ireland.

    Up to 40mm of rain is expected to fall.

    A yellow rainfall warning has already been issued for Mayo and Galway which is valid from noon to midnight tonight.

    Between 25 and 40 mm of rain is currently forecast to fall on the counties with a risk of flooding in places.

    Many other counties are expected to be hit by heavy rain tonight - Met Eireann says it's possible that yellow level warnings may be issued for Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Dublin, Meath and Louth.

    Current forecasts show south to southeast winds will reach gale or strong gale force at Sea, but will be fresh to strong over land as the ex tropical storm tracks northeastwards close to the southeast tonight.

    Rain will spread eastwards quickly across the country and will be heavy in many areas for a time with a risk of spot flooding.

  • A former Ballybrack FC footballer says he is very much alive, and working in Galway, despite his club claiming he had died.

    The Dublin football club made a false claim that player Fernando LaFuente had died in a car crash last Thursday evening - in order to have a match postponed.

    A minute's silence has held in his honour at Leinster Senior Leadue fixtures over the weekend.

    Mr LaFuente, who had relocated to Galway for work two months ago, said other clubs started paying tribute to him online and the story began to spread. 

    He said he was aware they were going to try and have the match postponed but never realised they were going to fake his death....

  • An All-Ireland winning hurling star has been forced to close down his fitness club after an insurance claim sent his premium soaring to €20,000.

    37-year old Colm Callanan, who retired from the Galway inter-county team last November and took up a coaching position with the squad, had run the Callanan Fitclub in Kinvara with his sister Colleen for the past six years.

    The club had about 100 members who took part in group classes and training while receiving advice on nutrition and exercise plans.

    Mr Callanan, who is married with two young children, also worked with Kinvara GAA club and Foróige as he passed on his experience in the field to local youth teams.

    But the Irish Independent reports that he was left reeling in April 2018 when someone using the club lodged a substantial claim against it.

    When he tried to renew his policy the following year, the reserve on his insurance meant he was receiving quotes of up to €20,000, when previously he had paid around €1,800.

    Mr Callanan said he hit a dead end when he shopped around for a better quote, and now believes there is no competitiveness in the sector any more.

    He says small businesses just cannot sustain the cost of insurance.

    The Kinvara native eventually made the difficult decision to pull the plug on the business around three weeks ago in a move that he said was "devastating".

     

     

     

     

  • Four Co Galway men, who were accused of cutting turf illegally, have been found not guilty by direction of a judge at Galway Circuit Court.

    The four were accused of breaking EU law regarding natural habitats on raised bogs during the summer of 2012.

    Michael D'Arcy, from Killimor in Co Galway; Pat McDonagh from Portumna, Tony Porter from Woodford - all in their 50's - and 64- year old Padraic Byrne from Killimor had denied the charges.

    Speaking outside court afterwards, Mr D'Arcy said he was "delighted it was all over" and described it as a "great day for rural Ireland".

    Independent Roscommon-Galway TD Michael Fitzmaurice welcomed the verdict, saying the dispute regarding turf cutting on protected bogs can be "settled in an amicable way rather than bringing people to court".

     

  • Funding of half a million euro has been allocated to support local communities on non-Gaeltacht islands. 

    The Government Chief Whip and Minister of State for the Irish Language, Gaeltacht and Islands Sean Kyne has announced a grant of over €490,000 to support the work of community development companies on islands including Clare Island and Inisturk in Mayo, Inishbofin in Galway, Bere & the Sherkin Islands in Cork among others. 

    In addition €22,700 has been approved for Comhar na nOilean Teo to support its work across several islands including the Aran Islands. 

  • Funeral arrangements have been confirmed for the late Tommy Varden from Tuam.

    Mr Varden was a well-known businessman and long time sponsor of the Galway senior footballers.

    He passed away on Tuesday night aged 79, following a short illness.

    Mr Varden’s remains will repose at Glynn’s Funeral Home, High Street, Tuam, on Friday evening from 5-8pm.

    He will be laid to rest on Saturday in Tuam Cemetery following 11am Funeral Mass i the Cathedral of the Assumption, Tuam.

  • Funeral arrangements have been confirmed for the woman who died in a farm accident in the Headford area on Monday.

    54-year-old Patricia Newell from Curracuggeen died after she was injured while tending to cattle in a field.

    She was pronounced dead at the scene and her body removed to University Hospital Galway where a post-mortem examination took place.

    The Health and Safety Authority is investigating.

    Patricia’s remains will repose at Carey’s Funeral Home, Claran Road, Headford on Thursday evening from 5-8pm.

    She will be laid to rest on Friday in Donaghapatrick Cemetery following 11am Funeral Mass in St Patrick and Cuana Church Kilcoona.

  • The funeral of a Galway teenager who died after falling ill at a debs is taking place this afternoon.

    Jessica Moore was pronounced dead in hospital in the early hours of Monday morning, a short time after the event in Ballinasloe.

    The Loughrea woman was due to receive her Leaving Cert results the next day.

    The 19-year-old's funeral Mass will take place in St. Patrick's Church, Bullaun, near Loughrea, at one o'clock this afternoon.

    Local councillor Shane Curley says the area's still in shock.

  • The funeral will take place in Dublin on Saturday of Tuam-born playwright Tom Murphy, who passed away in hospital on Tuesday night.

    Many tributes have been paid to the Galway playwright, who worked closely with the Druid Theatre and Abbey Theatre.

    His remains will repose at his home in Rathgar, Dublin tomorrow evening from 4-8pm.

    A Humanist Service in celebration of his life will take place on Saturday morning at 11am at the Mansion House in Dublin, followed by private cremation.

    Tom Murphy is survived by his wife Jane and first wife Mary, two sons Bennan and Johnny, his daughter Nell, grand-daughter and extended family.

     

     

  • Parents will feel the brunt of flooding in the Midlands and West this morning as they try to drive their children to school.

    Along with the recent closure of the N65 between Portumna and Borrisokane - there are more than 30 minor roads closed by flooding across South County Galway.

    Fianna Fail TD for Galway East, Anne Rabbitte says the floods have been building since August, creating a huge economic and environmental challenge for the region.

  • The future of the Irish beef industry is at a critical juncture, according to farmers who will stage a protest later.

    Prices in the sector are down at least 40 cent per kilogram since this time last year.

    The Beef Plan Movement says it will hold a peaceful protest at an Irish Farmers Journal meeting in Ballinsaloe, Co.Galway this evening.

    The event will be attended by the Minister for Agriculture, Michael Creed.

    Adam Woods from the Irish Farmers Journal is encouraging farmers to engage with the Minister and other speakers this evening.

    52,000 full-time jobs and more than 14,000 suckler farms will be lost from Ireland’s beef industry in the next 10 years unless something is done, a leading academic has warned in the Irish Farmers Journal.

    Ireland’s suckler herd is worth at least €2.9bn to the economy and accounts for the equivalent of 52,000 full-time jobs, UCD’s professor of agriculture and food economics Michael Wallace has calculated. But it faces the loss of 1,400 farms and more than 14,000 cows every year unless a strategy to protect it is put in place. “The suckler herd is a critical part of the agricultural industry in Ireland but its suffering a silent decline Mr Wallace told the Irish Farmers Journal ahead of the Beef Summit in Ballinasloe on tonight.

    In counties Galway, Mayo and Roscommon alone, sucklers are worth €700m and 12,400 jobs, his analysis shows, while they are worth €450m and 7,800 jobs in the midlands.

    Sucklers in Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan and Monaghan generate €445m in direct and indirect economic output and 8,600 jobs. Even the more dairy-dominated eastern and southern counties rely on sucklers for €835m and 15,600 jobs. Prof Wallace said agri-environmental supports for extensive suckler beef and a targeted headage payment for high quality beef genetics could be among the solutions to avert the decline facing the suckler herd. His analysis shows that the western, midlands and border counties are particularly reliant on the suckler herd, but its positive effect on the economy is felt nationwide. To demonstrate just how much the suckler cow provides for rural Ireland, the professor looked in detail at counties Galway and Leitrim

  • Thousands of football fans from Mayo and Galway will be travelling to Limerick this Saturday for the round 4 All-Ireland football qualifier, and the replay of the Ladies Connacht final.

    Gardai and Mayo County Council's Road Safety Office are urging drivers to stay safe and stay back from the car in front, on the journey to Limerick.

    "Stay safe and stay back" is the message from the Road Safety Officer and Gardai, who are also urging motorists not to use mobile phones when driving.

  • GAA supporters travelling to the two games at Elverys MacHale Park this evening are being reminded that Mayo Co Council is carrying out road works outside Balla.

    A traffic management system is in place which could cause delays tonight.

    Please ensure you give yourself sufficient time to travel to the ground & take alternative routes where possible.

    Gardai are also asking supporters not to park on the N5 road into Castlebar for safety reasons. 

    They are also asking anyone who is walking any distance to the game to wear hi-viz vests so that they can be seen by motorists. 

  • A special investigation of data protection practices at 20 hospitals across the State has identified a catalogue of concerns - including sensitive patient records being left exposed in wards, and a lack of privacy when staff are speaking to patients.

    The investigation was carried out by the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner at hospitals across the country – including University Hospital Galway and Sligo University Hospital.

    It found evidence that computer terminals were being left unattended for long periods, leaving patient data visible, and that sensitive records were not being disposed of securely.

    Hospitals are being urged to use this report as a tool to enable them to spot the significant data processing security risks that may feature at their facilities on a daily basis.

    The investigation was carried out last year and examined practices in 20 HSE facilities, voluntary hospitals and private facilities – although the report does not outline specific issues at individual hospitals.

    The report sets out 76 recommendations aimed at mitigating the risks identified.

  • Several thousand people gathered in Galway's Eyre Square yesterday evening for the launch of the 2020 Capital of Culture Programme.

    The year-long event gets underway in February, and will involve more than 1,900 events across 154 projects, 170 partnerships and collaborations with local, national, European and international artists and cultural organisations from mor than 30 countries.

    The opening week will include a large public spectacle in Galway city on February 8th, produced by Water Works, a company which has created events for the Olympics, including London’s.

     

    Galway 2020’s full programme was unveiled by Minister Josepha Madigan and the Chairman of Galway 2020 Arthur Lappin, and was marked with an aerial spectacle in Eyre Square.