Food Safety Authority of Ireland

  • Eleven food businesses were issued with closure orders from the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) in June – the highest number in any month so far this year. 

    Four food businesses at Dublin's Moore Street Mall received closure orders because of mouse and cockroach infestations.

    Health inspectors found mouse droppings on food handling equipment in one restaurant and cockroaches, dead and alive, in the others.

    The Food Safety Authority's told the businesses to bring in exterminators and clean up their kitchens.

    Five closure orders were served in June under the EC (Official Control of Foodstuffs) Regulations 2010 including Golden Sea Restaurant on Thomas Street in Castlebar.

    The Castlebar Restaurant was served a closure order on June 7th which was lifted four days later.

    June was the busiest month of the year for the authority, with closure orders issued to eleven businesses across the country.


    A food stall trading in the Co Roscommon town of Boyle was one of four food businesses closed down last month for breaches of food safety legislation.

    The Food Safety Authority of Ireland says Twisted Dough Wicklow, a food stall trading at The Crescent in Boyle on 11th February, was served with a closure order due to the immediate risk of cross-contamination, due to raw chicken being prepared on a folding table beside a coffee machine, and the absence of running hot and cold water for washing and disinfecting equipment and for hand-washing.

    The closure order, which was served on the food stall on the 11th February, has not yet been lifted.

    Dr Pamela Byrne, Chief Executive of the Food Safety Authority, has emphasised the importance of all food businesses observing rigorous food hygiene practices.

  • A warning has been issued about the dangers associated with jelly sweets that contain cannabis components.

    The Food Safety Authority of  Ireland has issued the warning, following a number of recent incidents whereby edible products containing significant levels of the cannabis component THC were intercepted by Gardai and the Revenue Customs Service.

    In at least one incident, sweets containing cannabis oil were consumed by teenagers, one of whom suffered serious adverse effects and required hospitalisation.

    The sweets were purchased online, with the packaging containing specific warnings that a significant concentration of THC was present.

    The Food Safety Authority is warning that these sweets containing cannabis components are dangerous, particularly for young people, and says food should only be bought from reputable sources.

    The FSAI is liasing with the HSE, Gardai and Revenue to detect and stop the import and sale of these dangerous products into Ireland.

  • Dead and live crawling insects, a rat coming out of a drain and no wash hand basin in a meat preparation area were some of the reasons that 8 food outlets were closed last month. 

    Two of the outlets were in Dublin, two in Meath, and one in counties Galway, Tipperary, Cork and Limerick. 

    A closure was served to Super Ketones, 76 Prospect Hill, Galway.

    A spokesperson for the Food Safety Authority said it's very concerning that the reasons for the Closure Orders were mainly due to filthy conditions and unhygienic practices.

  • Glanbia is recalling a number of products from its Avonmore fresh soup range, due to the possible presence of small pieces of blue plastic.

    Soups that may be affected carry the best before dates October 5 and October 8, 2018.

    Notices for customers have been posted in both Tesco and Dunnes Stores.

    The products affected include - 400g units of Low Fat Med Veg, Button Mushroom, Potato & Leek, Tomato & Basil, Winter Veg with Creme Fraiche, Mixed Veg, Cream of Chicken and Chicken & Veg.......   as well as the 700g Farmer's Choice Mix Veg and 1 kilogram Chicken and Veg.

    Customers can return the goods to the store where they were purchased.


  • NUI Galway researchers were part of a team who have found flame-retardant chemicals in the breast milk of Irish mothers.

    Scientists from NUIG, the University of Birmingham and the Food Safety Authority of Ireland concluded that the presence of the chemicals in breast milk “indicates ubiquitous exposure of the Irish population to these contaminants”.

    The Sunday Times reports that the chemicals found are used to treat products including electrical equipment, insulation foam and furniture and exposure pathways include dust, diet and touching treated fabrics.

    The level of exposure of breastfeeding infants to the chemicals was below safe limits set out in legislation.

    However, the authors noted that some research suggests much lower exposure limits are needed.

    They examined 92 milk samples from women attending breastfeeding clinics at the Coombe maternity hospital and University Hospital Galway.

    Last year the same researchers found that Irish people were exposed to toxic and potentially toxic flame retardants in their homes, cars schools and offices.

    The governments consultation documents onUHG furniture fire regulations notes that “international studies have shown that certain flame retardants may be harmful and can pose a risk to humans.”

    It suggests giving the furniture industry a lead-in time of between one and three years to stop using the chemicals