Covid 19

  • An Elphin publican had a party on his premises on Saturday last when he should have been self-isolating while awaiting his coronavirus test result. That's according to a story in the Roscommon Herald.

    Gordon Murray, who has since tested positive for Covid-19, told the paper he understands “ the anger” in his local town at events that unfolded in his bar on Saturday night but assured the community he was not aware an 18th birthday party was going to take place there.

    Mr Murray said he was tested for the virus earlier on the Saturday and said he didn’t realise he should have been self-isolating while awaiting the result. He claims he was not in his pub - An Bothar Rua for more than 40 minutes on the night.

    He states he had been abiding by guidelines, asking people to provide their details when they entered. He said food was being provided by a local chipper and that people at an 18th Birthday party had ordered meals that night “as far as he is aware”. He said the bar closed at 11.30 p.m.

    The HSE has confirmed that a Covid-19 case “associated with attendance at a bar in Elphin” has been notified to helath officials.

    Mr Murray is currently isolating away from his family. He said the HSE had given him clearance to continue with his farm work as long as he doesn’t come into contact with other people. He said An Bothar Rua is closed for the time being despite no request from the HSE to shut it.

     

     

  • The head of the HSE says there's "huge concern" over the Covid 19 trends in hospitals.

    30 people are being treated in intensive care with the disease, the highest figure since early June.

    That includes 8 admissions in the last 24 hours.

    The overall numbers in hospital with coronavirus have also risen to 179.

    HSE CEO Paul Reid says they're watching the numbers very closely.

  • A hundred workers at a hotel in Co Offaly are being screened after about 20 people who stayed there last week tested positive for coronavirus.

    GPs in Tullamore have been warned they're facing "a significant Covid-19 incident".

    The party of 40 checked into the Bridge House Hotel in Tullamore the weekend before last, and stayed for several days.

    They played golf nearby, and some socialised at a number of pubs and restaurants in the town.

    A letter sent to GPs there says up to half of that group have since tested positive for Covid-19.

    So far, there are no known infections beyond that original group.

    But public health teams are moving to trace guests from across the country to say they may have come into contact with a case.

    And they've warned local doctors they that "a significant number of people" in Tullamore may be affected if there has been further spread.

    Management at the Bridge House say they're "working closely with and cooperating with the HSE" and that they've closed temporarily.

    They say they've worked "tirelessly" to set up  "a safe environment in line with public health guidance".

     

     

  • 1,066 more people have tested positive for Covid-19 in the Republic.

    Three more patients have died.

    244 of today's cases are in Dublin, with 104 in Galway, 98 in Cork, 92 in Meath and 528 more spread across every other county in the country.

    There are 36 new cases in Mayo, 30 in Sligo, 19 in Roscommon and less than five in Leitrim.

  • There are a record 1,205 new cases of Covid-19 in the Republic, and three more deaths.

    288 cases are in Dublin, with 173 in Cork, 123 in Meath and 97 in Galway - with remaining cases spread across all other counties.

    Elsewhere, there are 24 new cases in Mayo & Sligo, 21 in Roscommon and seven in Leitrim.

    Health officials says the reproduction number has increased and is now 1.4 nationally.

  • Eleven more cases of Covid-19 have been notified to the Department of Health today.

    No more deaths have been reported, which means the total number stands at 1,764.

    The total number of cases in the Republic is now 25,892, over the course of the pandemic.

  • 11 new cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed in Leitrim and 6 in Galway.

    These were among the 1-2 new cases confirmed by the Department of Health yesterday evening, while there were no new deaths recorded from the virus.

    75% of the new cases were in people aged under 45.

    Leitrim has had the lowest number of cases in the country since the outbreak of coronavirus, with 5 additional cases reported over the course of last week.

    The county had 90 confirmed cases up to Saturday night.

    Galway saw an increase of 9 cases in one day last week and 6 yesterday - the latest confirmed number of cases for Co Galway is 534.

    Mayo's figure rose by 4 cases last week to 592, while Mayo was among 17 counties to record additional cases yesterday.

    Over half of the confirmed cases yesterday were in Dublin, with the acting Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn expressing concern over the growing number of cases nationally, particularly in Dublin and Limerick, and asked everyone to reduce their contacts.....

  • 110 people are being treated for Covid-19 in Irish hospitals this morning.

    It's the highest number of patients with the disease in the facilities since June 8th.

    18 people meanwhile are being treated in intensive care after being diagnosed with the coronavirus.

    HSE CEO Paul Reid has said although it’s lower than the peak admissions with the virus it is a call to arms to stop the spread of Covid-19.

  • The Department of Health has reported 12 additional deaths related to Covid-19.

    A further 379 new cases of the virus have been confirmed.

    116 of the cases are in Dublin, 38 in Donegal, 30 in Meath, and 27 in Cork.

    There are 17 new cases in Galway, ten in Mayo, six in Sligo, five in Roscommon and less than five in & Leitrim.

    As of 2pm today 282 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 33 are in ICU. 22 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours.

  • There have been no further deaths linked to Covid 19, while 12 new cases of the virus have been confirmed, according to latest figures from NPHET.

    It means the death toll remains at 1,764, while the total number of cases has reached 25,881.

  • The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has been informed of an additional 13 deaths related to Covid-19, bringing the total number of deaths in Ireland related to the novel coronavirus to 1,604.

    A further 76 confirmed cases have also been announced.

    There is now a total of 24,582 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Ireland.

  • Tourism businesses are being encouraged to sign up to the Covid-19 Safety Charter.

    The COVID-19 Safety Charter was developed by the National Tourism Development Authority to instil public confidence in ‘safe breaks’ in Ireland. Fáilte Ireland research shows the public expect and regard it as ‘important’ that appropriate safety measures are in place if they are to consider taking a domestic break in Ireland this year. 

    149 tourism businesses in Mayo have so far received the COVID-19 Safety Charter.  Nationally almost 2,700 tourism businesses, including approximately 50,000 employees, have completed the training and received the Charter.

    Fáilte Ireland is encouraging more businesses in Mayo from the accommodation sector, restaurants, attractions and activities to sign up to complete the training and receive the Safety Charter.

  • There have been 174 new cases of Covid-19 recorded in the last 24 hours according to latest figures from the national public health emergency team.

    One additional person has died.

    124 of today's cases were men and 48 were women, while 69% were under the age of 45.

    110 of the cases were located in Kildare, 27 in Dublin, 7 in Cork, 7 in Offaly, 6 in Meath and 17 are spread across thirteen other counties which include Mayo, Galway and Roscommon.

  • The Chief Medical Officer says he is wary of 'anticipatory behaviour' as the spread of COVID-19 continues to spread.

    Dr Tony Holohan says he doesn't want people to plan parties or arrange unnecessary visits to other homes as the situation starts to improve.

    However on the other side of that, NPHET believes people anticipating the worsening condition in the past few weeks has led to the growth of disease slowing down.

    Dr Tony Holohan urges the public to keep following the health advice

    Meanwhile, 772 new cases of the virus were confirmed yesterday, with six additional deaths.

    There were 41 new cases in Galway, 18 in Mayo, 13 in Roscommon, nine in Sligo and less than five in Leitrim.

  • The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been informed that 2 people with COVID-19 have died.

    There have now been a total of 1,714 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.

    13 confirmed cases of COVID-19 were detected over the past 24 hours. There is now a total of 25,368 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.

  • Two hundred further cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed today -- a situation the country's top public health official is calling "deeply concerning".

    Dr Ronan Glynn says it's the highest daily increase in numbers since May, with "multiple clusters" identified where there has been a secondary spread of the disease.

    81 people have tested positive in Kildare, 56 in Dublin, 13 in Tipperary, 8 in Limerick, 6 each in Laois and Galway, and five each in Kilkenny and Meath and the rest of the 20 cases are in Carlow, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Louth, Mayo, Offaly, Roscommon, Waterford, Wicklow.

    There were no further deaths reported among patients, but today's data brings the total infected in the Republic past 27-thousand for the first time.

  • 24 new cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed while one person infected with the virus has died, according to latest figures from NPHET.

    It brings the death toll in the Republic to 1,764 and the total number of cases to 25, 869.

    It comes as an Irish scientist leading the way in developing a Covid-19 vaccine says production may end up being very slow.

    In comments to the Independent today, Professor Adrian Hill from the University of Oxford says there will be high demand.

  • There have been six more deaths and 269 new cases of COVID-19 confirmed in the Republic this evening.

    Of the cases notified since midnight last night (Tues) 88 of the cases are in Dublin, 42 in Cork, 25 in Limerick, 20 in Louth, 16 in Donegal and the remaining 78 are in 17 other counties.

  •  

    The State's chief medical officer says the country isn't yet in a position to ease some Covid-19 restrictions on 18th May.

     1,375 people with the virus have died after a further 37 fatalities were confirmed last night, while there are now 22,248 diagnosed cases.

     An additional two cases in Mayo brings the number of confirmed cases to 512, with 375 in Galway.

    An additional 31 confirmed cases were reported in Co Roscommon, bringing the number to 212, with 121 confirmed cases in Sligo.

     From May 18th, the gradual lifting of measures is due to begin, with the return of outdoor workers, and the reopening of DIY stores and garden centres.

     Dr Tony Holohan says that's not guaranteed, but he remains hopeful..

     

  • Hospitals have reported a further reduction in the number of patients admitted with confirmed and suspected cases of Covid-19.

    There are now a total of 902 patients in hospitals with either confirmed or suspected coronavirus.

    The hospitals with the most confirmed cases are in Dublin, while Mayo University Hospital has 31 patients with confirmed Covid-19 and 14 suspected cases.

    The latest HSE figures also show there are 90 patients with the virus in intensive care units across the country, which is also reduction on recent days.

    Meanwhile, the testing criteria issued to GPs for Covid-19 has been broadened, so that patients no longer need to be in an at-risk group to be referred for a test.

    Patients need only to have a sudden onset of either a cough, fever, or shortness of breath, and no other cause that explains their illness, to be eligible for testing.

    They need to be referred by their GP for a test.