7oz butter, softened
7oz caster sugar
3 large eggs
2oz white spelt flour
4oz ground almonds
2 lemons (juiced and zested)
Juice of one lemon
5-6 tbsp icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Grease 8" cake tin and line with baking parchment.
3. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy and slowly beat in the eggs.
4. Fold in flour, almond and lemon zest.
5. Gently pour mixture into tin and tap sides to banish bubbles.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes until sponge is light brown.
7. While still hot in tin, prick 20 holes in the cake.
8. Generously drizzle the lemon juice into the holes and leave to cool.
9. Mix lemon juice into icing sugar to make a smooth paste.
10. Remove cake from tin and smooth icing over the top.