Court

  • A 31 year old man has pleaded guilty to having sexual relations with a 14 year old girl.

    He was 24 at the time of the offence in Sligo, and claimed he thought the victim was 18.

    The court heard this offence dates back to September 2012 .

    When the accused was questioned by gardai he told them he thought the girl was 18 or 19, but the victim said she told him she was just 14.

    The accused, who has a long list of minor convictions, was originally due to go on trial for rape but pleaded guilty to the defilement of a child under the age of 15.

    He will be sentenced next week.

     

     

  • A 32 year old man is due in court this morning in connection with the murder of a woman in Sligo.

    Natalia Karaczyn's body was discovered on Tuesday, just two days after she was reported missing.

     

    The mother of three had been missing from her home at Crozon Park since early on Sunday morning.

    Originally from Poland - the 30 year old been living in the town for a number of years.

    Natalia's body was discovered in the Holywell area on Tuesday however Gardaí aren't saying how she died for operational reasons.

    A 32-year-old man was last night charged in connection with her murder.

    He's due to appear before Sligo District Court this morning.

  • A 46-year-old man appeared in court this afternoon (Sunday) charged with the murder of his wife.

    James Kilroy, with an address at Kilbree Lower, Westport, Co. Mayo, was brought before Judge Fiona Lydon at a special sitting of Castlebar District Court.

    He has been in custody in connection with the death of his wife, Valerie French Kilroy, a 41-year-old mother of three.

    The accused showed no emotion during the brief five minute hearing.

    Detective Sergeant Michael Doherty, told today's hearing he arrested the accused at 11.45 this morning and at 12.45 he charged him with murder.

    In reply to the charge, after caution, Det Sgt Doherty outlined, the accused made no reply.

    Garda Inspector Denis Harrington applied for a remand in custody to Harristown (Castlerea Prison) court on Friday next (June 21).

    Gary Mulchrone, solicitor, said there were serious concerns about the mental health of the accused, concerns that had become apparent since his detention.

    Mr. Mulchrone said his client was in immediate need of medical attention and a psychiatric evaluation.

    Remanding the accused in custody, Judge Lydon recommended the medical attention sought by Mr. Mulchrone as well as an independent pyschiatric assessment in due course.

    Free legal aid was also granted on the application of Mr. Mulchrone.

    A small group of relatives, as well as Reverend Val Rogers, Westport based Church of Ireland Rector, were in court for the brief hearing.

    Rev Rogers spoke briefly to the accused before he was led away by detectives following the hearing.

    Kilroy stared forward impassively during the entire proceedings.

    He was dressed entirely in dark clothes which included a black hoodie type garment.

    The murder victim sustained fatal wounds in the attack.

    Her three children were in the house at the time but were unharmed.

    Arrangements have yet to be finalised for the funeral of Ms. Kilroy, a popular HSE employee.

  •  

    An Achill man has been jailed for two years for his role in an aggravated burglary, during which a husband and wife were tied up in their home and threatened with an imitation firearm.

    The court heard that 20-year old Declan Maxwell and another man, who is now deceased, invaded the house and demanded money because they claimed the couple's teenage son owed a drug debt.

    Maxwell, who was then 16-years-old, and the other man ordered the couple to hand over their bank cards and write down their PIN details.

    These were then passed to a third person outside the home who used them to take €440 cash from an ATM.

    The couple were then tied up with rope cut from the clothes line before the invaders made off with an Xbox, Wii console, Samsung Galaxy phone, a wifi router and runners, all valued around €1,000.

    Declan Maxwell, with an address at Rossfield Park, Fettercairn, Tallaght, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to aggravated burglary at Stannaway Avenue, Crumlin, Dublin, on December 7, 2013.

    The father-of-one is originally from Achill Island, Co. Mayo and has one previous minor conviction for possessing drugs.

    The court heard that Maxwell  was stopped by gardai the following day for a random drugs search, when he confessed to the aggravated burglary. The court heard was carrying a bag containing some of the items that had been taken from the house.

    Judge Martin Nolan said Maxwell participated voluntarily in the home invasion, which he described as a “reprehensible crime”.

    The judge imposed a five year sentence with three suspended and ordered that Maxwell undergo 18 month probation service supervision post release.

  • A Mayo man has been found GUILTY of the murder of his baby son almost five years ago.

    40 year old John Tighe of Lavallyroe in Ballyhaunis was accused of murdering six month old Joshua by placing a wad of tissue in his mouth in June 2013.

    He had pleaded not guilty and said what happened was an accident.

    The jurors returned its GUILTY verdict after over seven hours of deliberations.

  •  

    A 40 year old Mayo man is due to go on trial tomorrow accused of the murder of his baby son in Co Mayo.

    John Tighe has pleaded not guilty to murdering baby Joshua at their home in Lavallyroe in Ballyhaunis in June 2013.

    A jury has been sworn in to hear the case which was due to start this afternoon.

    It now won't start until tomorrow morning as the trial judge is dealing with another case.

     

     

  • A Donegal man's been remanded in custody, after appearing in court, charged in relation to an attack at a farmhouse in Strokestown.

    The 53 year-old will appear in court again on Friday, along with a second man, who was arrested in Mayo earlier this week.

    PJ Sweeney, with an address of High Cairn, Ramelton, Co Donegal, has been charged with violent disorder, after appearing at a special sitting of Roscommon District Court yesterday evening.

    It's in relation to the attack at a repossessed farmhouse at Falsk, Strokestown, in mid-December.

     Evidence was given in court of arrest, charge and caution, to which the 53 year-old accused made no response.

     Judge Deirdre Geraghty refused bail but granted him legal aid.

    Mr. Sweeney's been remanded in custody, to appear at Harristown District Court, Castlerea, next Friday.

    Meanwhile, a 54 year old man arrested on Thursday in Co Mayo as part of the investigation into the incident at Strokestown appeared in court on Friday.

    He was brought before a special sitting of Castlerea District Court and was also remanded in custody to appear at Harristown District Court on the same date.

  • A man has sued Galway County Council over the alleged wrongful seizure and subsequent slaughter of a thoroughbred horse.

    Edward McDonagh, of Bóthar an Coiste, Headford Road,  Galway, says he owned the stallion called Chief of Colours which was seized by the local authority in February 2018.

    The Irish Times reports that in judicial review proceedings, Mr McDonagh claims the council acted outside its powers when it refused his request to release the horse and euthanised the animal as a manner of enforcing a debt about which he claims there was a genuine dispute.

    He alleges the council’s policy of detaining and disposing of horses where fees have not been paid, and failures to give him information legitimately requested by him and to engage with him, did not respect his constitutional rights to fair procedure.

    He wants declarations to that effect and also seeks damages for the alleged wrongful and unlawful slaughtering of his horse.

     

    The claims are denied and the council says its decision to detain, withhold and dispose of the horse was valid and done in accordance with law.

    The county council claimed that - despite being given plenty of opportunities to do so - Mr McDonagh had failed to produce valid information that would have identified him as the owner of the horse, and said Mr McDonagh did not hold a valid passport for the horse.

    The council also denied the horse was wrongly and disproportionately withheld because the fees were not paid.

    The horse was seized after it was found wandering on a public road, causing a hazard to motorists and was not taken from private property, the council said.

    Mr Justice Garrett Simons said he would give judgment in the matter after Easter.

     

  • A Galway man has been convicted of orally raping a young woman who had fallen asleep in his van while he gave her a lift home from a night out.

    The 46-year old man had pleaded notguilty at the Central Criminal Court to one charge of orally raping the then 20-year-old woman at a Galway location in the early hours of November 5, 2015.

    Yesterday, Ms Justice Eileen Creedon ordered that reporting restrictions remain in place until after the man is sentenced in May.

    The court heard the man has no previous convictions.

    The jury of eight men and four women took four hours and 15 minutes to return their majority 11-1 verdict.

    The judge directed the man be registered as a sex offender and remanded him on continuing bail until his sentence date in May.

     

     

  • A Galway man has been sentenced to 18 months in prison after pleading guilty to the sexual exploitation of two schoolgirls on dates in November 2016.

    The Galway Circuit Criminal Court heard that 54-year old Adrian Finnerty of Athenry Road, Loughrea used a photograph of an 18-year old boy on his own Facebook profile to lure teenage girls and conduct sexually explicit conversations with them.

    The father of one pleaded guilty last year to two separate charges involving the sexual exploitation of two girls, aged 15 and 13,  on dates in November 2016.

    The court heard that Finnerty used his own name on the Facebook account but told all the young women he befriended online that he was 18 years old.

    Judge Rory McCabe said Adrian Finnerty had engaged in grooming the girls.

    The judge said these particular offences stood at the lower end on the scale of gravity as they involved no serious criminal pre-meditation.

    He imposed a three-year sentence for the first offence and a two-and-a-half-year sentence for the second offence, to be served concurrently.

    He suspended the final 18 months of both sentences and ordered that Mr Finnerty come under the supervision of the probation service for 12 months after his release.

    Afterwards the girls' parents said they were disappointed at what they called the leniency of the sentence handed down.

     

  • A Galway man has been sentenced to seven-and-a-half-years in prison after being found guilty of repeatedly raping his foster sister.

    The 29-year-old man, who was convicted following a trial at the Central Criminal Court last year, was also jailed for the rape of two other young girls who were also fostered by his parents.

    The victims were aged between six and ten years at the time of the abuse, while the accused was aged between 14 and 18.

    In victim impact statements read to the court, the women spoke of the devastating and long lasting effects the abuse had on them.

    The accused had pleaded not guilty to a number of charges relating to the rape and sexual abuse of the three victims.

    Following a 9-day trial, he was convicted in July last year of a total of 21 charges of rape and sexual assault on the first victim.

    He was also found guilty on one charge of raping each of the other two girls.

    Mr Justice Michael Moriarty sentenced the man to seven-and-a-half-years for the rape charges and concurrent terms of six-and-a-half and five years for the remaining charges.

    He suspended the final year on strict conditions.

  • A 32 year old man has appeared in court charged with the murder of his wife in Sligo.

    Natalia Karaczyn's body was discovered on the outskirts of the town on Tuesday.

     

    The mother of three who was originally from Poland had been missing since early on Sunday morning.

    The 30 year old's body was discovered in the Holywell Road area two days later.

    Today her husband 32-year-old Rafal Karaczyn of Crozon Park in Sligo appeared in court charged with her murder.

    Dressed in a red hoodie he sat with his head in his hands and was visibly upset throughout the hearing, and was comforted by members of Natalia's family.

    Sergeant Cathal Duffy told the court that the accused made no reply when he was arrested, charged and cautioned at Ballymote Garda Station shortly before 8 o'clock last night.

    His barrister asked that he be put on suicide watch while in custody, and the court heard this application was supported by the family of the deceased.

    Judge Kevin Kilraine agreed and also granted him free legal aid.

    He was remanded in custody to appear before Harristown District Court tomorrow.

  • The jury in the trial of a man accused of murdering his baby son in Co Mayo has been discharged.

    40 year old John Tighe of Lavallyroe in Ballyhaunis denies murdering his sixth month old son Joshua at his home in June 2013.

    Two of the jurors couldn't serve so a new jury had to be sworn in this morning.

    The case is now starting again this afternoon.

  • A man and a woman have appeared in court charged with the murder of a Sligo man in Co Tyrone.

    According to RTE News, 23-year-old Niall Cox and 33-year-old Karen McDonald, both of McCrea Park, Clogher, indicated they understood the charge at Dungannon Magistrates' Court this morning.

    30-year-old Pat Ward was found dead in an alleyway in McCrea Park at about 8.15am on Saturday.

    There was a heavy police presence in and outside the court as the pair appeared in the dock.

    More than 50 family and friends of the married father of four watched proceedings from the public gallery.

    No application for bail was made during the brief hearing.

    The two defendants were remanded in custody. They will next appear by video link on March 13th.

    Mr Ward was originally from Sligo, but had been living in Clogher recently.

  • A man's been charged in connection with a murder in Sligo.

    He's due to appear in court in Donegal later today.

    20 year old local man, Jimmy Loughlin, was found dead at a house at Connolly Street in the town on Saturday afternoon.

    Post mortem results are not being released for operational reasons but it's believed he was the victim of an assault.

    Mr Loughlin was a student until recently and worked as a DJ.

    He had also worked in McDonalds in Sligo as a teenager.

  • A man is due to appear in court in Co Roscommon today charged with assault during a house repossession in Strokestown.

    The alleged incident took place on December 11th last year.

    A man in his sixties has been summoned to appear at Strokestown District Court this morning.

    He has been charged with assault.

    Five days after the repossession of the family home last December, security guards were assaulted and their cars were burnt out at the property.

     

  • A man who appeared at Carrick-on-Shannon Court today in connection with three serious offences in Ballina over the weekend had his application for bail objected by investigating Gardai and he was remanded in custody to appear at Harristown District Court on Friday May 3rd at 10.30am.

    Ballina Gardai confirmed to Midwest News this evening that the man was charged with one count of authorisation and two counts of assault.

    The man made an application for bail today but that was objected by investigating Gardai and he was remanded in Custody to appear before Harristown District Court on Friday May 3rd at 10.30am.

  • A 44 year-old man has been jailed for five years for a one kick assault in Roscommon that has left his victim wheelchair bound.

    Roscommon Circuit Court heard Gintautis Motiejunas suffered catastrophic brain damage when he sustained a kick to the head in an incident in Boyle in February 2017.

    The father of four is now confined to a wheelchair, paralysed on his left side and deaf in one ear.

    The court heard the victim is unlikely ever to make a full recovery.

    Judge Frances Comerford sentenced Arturis Sakurskis, who had pleaded guilty at an earlier court sitting to assault causing harm, to eight and a half years in jail, suspending the final three and a half years.

     

     

  • A man has been remanded in custody charged with the murder of a Co Galway pensioner.

    54-year-old Michael Scott from Goranumera in Portumna has been charged with the murder of Chrissie Treacy from Portumna on April 27th last year.

    The 75-year-old lived along at Boula in Portumna and was found dead at her farm on April 27th 2018.

    Mr Scott appeared before a special sitting of Loughrea District Court yesterday evening where Detective Sergeant Paul Duane gave evidence of arrest.

    Detective Sergeant Duane told Judge Gerard Furlong that in reply to the charge Mr Scott said ‘I did not murder Chrissie Treacy. A genuine accident.’

    Mr Scott did not speak during the four minute hearing.

    Judge Furlong remanded Mr Scott in custody to appear before Loughrea District Court next Wednesday.

     

  • A 23-year-old man has been remanded in custody in connection with the death of a Co Galway publican and school teacher more than six years ago.

    The man was aged 17 when initially charged with the unlawful killing of John Kenny in his pub in Oughterard in September 2011, therefore he cannot be named.

    He was arrested in Cork last week and remanded in custody to appear before Galway Circuit Criminal Court today.

    He was remanded in continuing custody to appear before the same court on 17 July.

    On the 25th September 2011, the body of John Kenny - who was a teacher in Athenry -  was found on the floor of a room in his pub with his hands tied behind his back.

    A post-mortem examination carried out on Mr Kenny's body showed his death was the result of an assault.